1. Health
Julie  Stachowiak, Ph.D.

The Global Spread of Multiple Sclerosis

By May 11, 2009

It is hard to get a good sense of the spread of multiple sclerosis in some parts of the world. Last summer, the BBC reported on a survey of multiple sclerosis internationally. They have a great map that shows multiple sclerosis prevalence worldwide (the MS Global Map). It is very interesting how well that map "maps" onto the the Anglo-European world. The US, UK, Canada and Northern European countries dominate the map.

They also report on the lack of knowledge and information about multiple sclerosis in some countries, to the point that people with multiple sclerosis experience stigma and are shunned because people think the illness is contagious or the result of "sins in a past life."

Read about the real Causes of Multiple Sclerosis

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Learn more or join the conversation!
MS on Twitter | MS Newsletter Signup | MS Forum
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comments
May 11, 2009 at 2:26 pm
(1) Trent Black says:

REMITTING RELAPSING MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
ATTACKS CAN BE STOPPED IN 4 DAYS

There is a very good reason they can’t find a cause for MS (Multiple Sclerosis), and just hope for things to alter the body. MS is not bug, virus, or genetic disability. Nor it is cause by Herpes 6, silver filings, wheat, gluten, and tons of other theories.

Did you ever wonder why RR MS attacks happen at different times, in different people, caused by different things? Did you ever wonder how RR MS can burn out? Did you ever wonder why the wheat-less diet or the evening primrose therapy, kind of worked on a few people, but not the majority?

THE ALLERGY PART
People with MS almost always have a lot of food allergies (some do not even know it). We are NOT talking about a wheat or gluten allergy theory of any kind. But, to get our point across, we need an example. For this example, you have a food allergy to eggs (but it could be any food allergy that does not send you into shock.) While the food allergy can break the skin in many places in the body, in our example, the skin rash appears on the back of the thumbs.

This simple example proves it. Lets say have a food allergy to eggs (but it could be any food allergy that does not send you into shock.) While the food allergy can break the skin in many places in the body, this skin rash appears on the back of the thumbs (a common food allergy symptom). One morning, you wake up, and you eat eggs by mistake, and get a skin rash on the back of your thumbs. You call it a food allergy. But, what if I took a small amount of egg, and injected it with a syringe into the back of your thumb, and you will get a small reaction. Is the injected egg, a food allergy? “What is the difference?”

The difference is that the injected egg just entered the body through different place. You see, the egg that was eaten, was supposed to be digested. Digestion involves breaking down things like protein into amino acids. The eaten egg did not get digested, so the partially digested food particles passed into the bloodstream and settled at your thumb.

To digest food (breaking the solid food into liquids for absorption), the body uses digestive enzymes, usually produced by the pancreas. Digestive enzymes require a liquid acid base (gastric acid) to digest the food. If there is not enough of gastric acid, or a shortage of enzymes, food allergies may appear. Take an anti-acid is a sure way to not have digestion occur.

THE GRAIN PROBLEM

All grain products have what is called, ENZYME INHIBITORS, to stop the grains from sprouting via enzyme action. Soaking grains overnight, deactivate the enzyme inhibitors and allows the seed to sprout. So, eating grains, causes two major problems. 1. Soaking up and reducing your gastric acid, and 2. Inhibiting your digestive enzymes from working

That is why so many people get allergies. The American diet is full of grains, which hamper digestion, giving you allergies.

THE MS LINK
Here is the MS link. What if, instead of the food allergy breaking the skin on the back of your thumbs, it breaks the blood brain barrier, which allows T-Cells into your spinal fluid, where T-Cells are not supposed to be. Now we are into a whole new set of problems, which is called MS. The allergy makes the MS exacerbations varied and unpredictable, because of the varied diets.

CAN THE PROBLEM BE FIXED?

We usually see an RRMS attack, go away, in 4 days of treatment of the digestive system. The same amount of time for an allergy to go away.

Visit our web site for free information on how to do this. We don’t sell you anything. Stop eating grains in the mean time.

- HEALTH NUTTY
Shelle Bell Health Center

May 11, 2009 at 8:56 pm
(2) Rachel says:

WARNING * THE ABOVE COMMENT IS WRONG AND DANGEROUS
Trent Black, your facts are hazy. You do not understand true food allergies. You do not understand MS. Go back to medical school – oh you didn’t attend? It shows.

May 12, 2009 at 2:14 am
(3) LDR says:

Another criminal, preying on the scared and ill-informed. People like Trent Black would be well advised to keep looking over their shoulders.

May 12, 2009 at 11:00 am
(4) Oli says:

What Trent Black say mirrors the reality. It explains Roger Mac Dougall, Embry and others History. Also my own experiance is the same. Since i haven`t eaten my IgG Allergies (EGG, GLUTEN GRAINS, MILK PRODUCTS, YEAST and CORN) i never had any MS PUSH. Now my EDSS is 0 !!!
Also this theory harmonizes with geographical and genetic MS conditions.

May 12, 2009 at 11:08 am
(5) Julie (Guide to MS) says:

Many people espouse the food allergy/sensitivity link to MS. I will admit that some foods may make certain people with MS feel worse (I personally cannot eat foods containing gluten or in the legume family without feeling terrible). I do not know the impact of avoiding these foods on my disease progression and guess it is probably minimal, as I still experience symptoms that change over time, despite complete avoidance of these foods.

However, we (people with MS, like yourself, Trent) are a pretty savvy group and want proof – usually in the form of a well-designed study – before accepting theories or anecdotes as fact.

Perhaps your ideas might be received a little better if you started out by saying that this is what worked for you, rather than implying that you have the global answer. As you can see, people are ready to fight back against what they perceive as overstatement or empty promises. However, I have found people to be very receptive when I say, “here is what worked for me and this is why I think it worked and I’d be happy to share more if you are interested.” Some people will want to know more, many more won’t, but people will be less apt to be angry when things are presented this way.

May 14, 2009 at 9:15 am
(6) Ciscokid says:

Interesting concept, a spread of MS. IS it a spread of the disease or is it the growth of a population susceptible to MS?

June 25, 2010 at 12:54 am
(7) Trent Black says:

What I find totally confusing, is the lack of understanding, of what I said. Let me try again, cause it works.

Proteins are what causes problems in most food allergies. Why? The proteins are not DIGESTED into amino acids. Heck, I could inject protein in your arm and you would get a reaction.

So, why is the protein NOT DIGESTED? There is the problem. Heck, I can look at the immune system and wonder why it attacks. NO BIG DEAL.

The problem is not medical. The problem is nutritional and biochemical.

Here is the other thing. I been having no issues for 20 years. And it don’t really cost you anything to try. You need acid and enzymes to digest food, and you suck up the acid with bread, stopping digestion. You don’t need an MD to figure that out. Forget the drugs, just look at the biochemistry.

June 25, 2010 at 12:57 am
(8) Trent Black says:

Here is everybody’s problem. Just look at digestion. It is that easy. Try it. Don’t have to pay for it. If you have RR MS, let us know what happened.

But if anybody really just looked at the concept, you would see it is BIOCHEMICALLY SOUND. Maybe the doctors should take a course in nutrition. They only get one class.

June 25, 2010 at 1:03 am
(9) Trent Black says:

Here is an interesting thing somebody said.
WARNING * THE ABOVE COMMENT IS WRONG AND DANGEROUS

Ok, what did we miss about most people having problems with proteins, and why are they in the blood? What happened to digestion and amio acids. You study the symptoms AFTER the digestion problem. Too late. The proteins are in the blood. Did anybody really read what I wrote?

June 25, 2010 at 1:06 am
(10) Trent Black says:

WARNING: IF YOU FOLLOW WHAT THE DRUG DEALERS DO, AND NOT BIOCHEMISTRY, YOU WILL HAVE TO SUCK THOSE LITTLE PILLS OR TAKE THOSE SHOTS, ALL YOUR LIFE.

This is what you all did to me. You know what the PROBLEM IS? Look on wikipedia, under digestion, and it will tell you what I said. REALLY REALLY

March 20, 2011 at 1:47 am
(11) Maria says:

Yes, let’s all refer to Wikipedia for our scientific knowledge. It is truly a bastion of intellect written by only the world’s top scientists. LOL

July 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm
(12) me says:

I TOTALLY agree with the digestion issues but will be putting to the test for MS. The food we eat today is garbage, chemicals and the human body was not designed for the onslaught of environmental and other artificial contaminants. Its no wonder so many are sick. Can’t try adjusting diet but willing to spend a ridiculous amount on chemical drugs? Geez people … give the guy a break. Once you have MS – may be too late but if we had good diet, vitamins and minerals along with healthy living, it might help.

January 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm
(13) Tomas Blank says:

I would like to say that I really find Trent Black’s approach very interesting. Though, are all grain foods (pasta, rice etc) must be removed from sb’s diet or only bread? coz I find it extremely difficult not to eat pasta again :(

Is there any other way to improve/correct grain’s digestion? I have heard about a supplement that (usually) holistic doctors give for the intestine tract to help maintain the appropriate balance of the bacteria in the gut. Would that benefit at all??

July 20, 2012 at 1:29 am
(14) Laurie Tumer says:

I deal with some type of pain syndrome that has worsened over 8 years in my lower body from my toes now to a bit above my waist. My neuro calls it neuropathy, however he is dismissive (and even hostile) when I report that the pain dials up & down with different foods. I don’t fit neatly into his box. Sometimes I have such reactions to different foods that not eating is when I feel best and the pain lessens. Anyone experience this?

I am currently on a therapeutic diet called GAPS developed by neurologist/neurosurgeon Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride. I seriously recommend MSers take a look at her work. Her premise is that an imbalance of gut flora is responsible for an array of autoimmune and other diseases, and that the first order of business is to heal the gut with specific probiotics and a special high fat diet. With this protocol she has cured many a child of autism (including her own) – something that is supposedly incurable. She does speak of ms. I am on the 8th week of the diet, and if you consider it, be warned: this is not for the faint of heart… The last few weeks there have been similar so-called studies being reported linking disease with the gut flora, the therapeutic use of probiotics, etc. on 60 Minutes and NPR. All I can say is that I am eating again which is the greatest result so far, and I have periods where the pain dials way down and I’m able to move with more flexibility… Do I hope for more results? Yeah, I do. None of the tons of drugs I’ve been given have helped – they have only made me sicker.

October 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm
(15) Balanced Concepts says:

In Canada you can get tested for food antibody reactions through a practitioner listed on the Rocky Mountain lab website. In the US you can get tested through Bio Tek lab. Google them to find out their contact information. A good book to read that talks about how food sensitivities can contribute to MS and other nervous system disorders is called “Optimum Nutrition for the Mind” by: Patrick Holford

February 14, 2013 at 3:47 am
(16) Dragon Doug says:

Corporate Trolls are becoming easier to discern with their instant attacks where the truth is being talked about. Shut up and take your pharmaceuticals you dumb sheep, that is what the trolls are paid to say rapidly and repeatedly.

Government financed corporate Trolls are baaaa aaad