What happens in the study, being conducted at the University of Nottingham and funded with 400,000 pounds, is that people with multiple sclerosis will be infected with 25 hookworms through a patch placed on the skin (it is painless). Nine months later those worms are flushed from the people's bodies. The good news is that it is very safe and very cheap.
A prior study showed that people with parasite infections have fewer relapses than the parasite-free. If the study results are good, this would be an incredibly inexpensive way to treat and help people with multiple sclerosis.
I'm wondering what everyone out there thinks about this. Frankly, the idea of parasites in my body hits me with a certain "gross-out" factor, but I'm not real fond of my daily injection either. What about you, would you think about using parasites to treat multiple sclerosis? Leave your thoughts in the comments.