1. Health
Julie  Stachowiak, Ph.D.

What Was Your First Sign of Depression?

By December 31, 2012

Have you been depressed? Depression is a common symptom of MS.

However, depression shares many characteristics with other symptoms of MS, such as fatigue and cognitive dysfunction, so it can be difficult to tell the difference for both people with MS and health professionals trying to help them.

Plus, let's face it - MS itself can make us sad. We may have to turn down opportunities to have fun and socialize because we simply don't feel good. There may be even bigger consequences, as we are forced to rethink life plans and career strategies due to increased symptoms and disability. That could make anyone withdraw and feel a lack of enthusiasm for things.

So, I want to hear from those of you with MS who have been depressed. How did you know you were depressed? What made you seek help? What kind of doctor did you talk to first? How did he or she determine that you were depressed? Tell your story in the comments section below. You could be helping someone that really needs it.

Read more:

Two Questions Can Help You Figure Out if You Might Be Depressed

Depression and Multiple Sclerosis Overview

Fatigue or Depression?

Comments
January 2, 2013 at 11:32 am
(1) S says:

This is a fairly tricky question, and the answers people provide are often relative. I think that MS or not, most people experience bouts of depression at various points in their lives. For example, I recently lost my last grandparent to old age and stroke.. Has it depressed me? Of course. Would I attribute any of that depression to my 2007 MS dx? Absolutely not. I loved my grandmother very much, and her passing has left a void in my life that I tend to by choosing to live each day as fully as I can.

Do I think MS create a predilection for depression? Perhaps just as much as any autoimmune illness. As you pointed out, invisible, chronic illness creates issues akin to, but less obvious than those situations which are plainly visible. Perhaps more importantly, what I really wanted to point out is the first medicine all my neuros offered me were antidepressants. They all presumed that MS plainly equals depression. Their assumptions about my MS were almost more depressing than the MS dx itself! This is not to say I judge anyone who chooses to take such medicine- I don’t, but I find the medical establishment’s pharmaceutical tendencies incredibly alarming. Again, this is not to say that such medicines can’t or don’t help people, because I believe they can- but I am thankfully able to choose not to use such medicines. Wishing you and everyone else a healthy and happy 2013!
Thanks for the chance to respond!
Namaste, Susan

January 2, 2013 at 11:55 am
(2) Cathy says:

I have been depressed off and on through my entire life. I found that books on cognitive therapy (Albert Ellis, How to absolutely refuse to make yourself miserable about absolutely anything; “Feeling good.”) very useful.

I knew I was depressed the last time because i was crying all the time. At that point, I went on Celexa (Lexapro) which helped me stop crying and deal with the situation. (My daughter’s arrest). Lately I have been depressed over mobility issues, financial issues, and my daughter’s issues. Again I cry easily. So taking Celexa and Effexor. But crying easily for me is a big tipoff.

January 2, 2013 at 1:12 pm
(3) Sharon says:

I only somewhat fit into the MS group, but I feel that my comments might help someone. I have what is considered to be the controversial cause for MS, a blocked jugular vein, resulting from placement of a ventriculoperitoneal shunt that runs through my right internal jugular vein.
Until 1998, I was running, and then everything started stiffening up, so to speak. I have had well over 50 neurosurgeries to date. When I first started having mobility problems, neuros said MS, then retracted the diagnosis.
I have, and contiue to experience bouts of minor to major depression.
My neuropsychologist said, and I truly believe that, although anyone can experiemce depression, illnesses or injuries affecting one’s brain can make matters much worse.
Doctors have informed me that because my depression is a result of brain damage and altered brain anatomy and chemistry, medication will have little to no effect, after having tried many different meds, including lexapro.
I honestly believe that any stressful event in one’s life can lead to depresson, but physical challenges or illness can greatly multiply these difficulties. My first indications of recurrence are usually isolation, crying, and believe it or not, anger.
My prayers go out to everyone!

January 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm
(4) imdhreeves says:

Depression is common in my family and antidepressants help.
Some of my family members did well on prozac, however it did not work for me. Cymbalta did work and was a great relief since I stopped thinking about suicide once I started taking it. So, for me depression was just increased by MS, probably not the cause.

January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(5) ClangerX says:

Somehow or another a comment I was making has gotten lost so I will try again! I agree to a large extent with Susan’s comments. I have MS and also Aspergers autism. Just recently I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my lower spine, right hip and knee. Depressed?? Yes I
think I am at times. But this whole ‘disease thing’ especially CNS problems has by it’s nature become so complicated that I feel quite strongly that you have to take charge. Perhaps this is a ‘male’ thing, but having been given a number of medications over the years and suffered with the reactions and withdrawal symptoms, I decided that I had to channel the anger into controlled aggression against the health issues, I had to take some form of control. It took me eighteen months to withdraw from diazepam and now I use only morphine and aspirin and I take magnesium etc. I know this probably sounds simplistic, but I feel a lot better since I exerted even a modicum of control. Perhaps I will change my thinking as we go along.
Kind regards to all, Clangerx.

January 2, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(6) Jennifer says:

How did I know I was depressed? When I’m sad most of the time.

I don’t blame MS for my depression. This newsletter seems to blame EVERYTHING on MS, which I think is impossible.

I know why I’m depressed and it’s not from MS. I’m depressed because I’ve had a horrible holiday season. My Mom was sick for both Christmas and New Years. It doesn’t sound like much but we haven’t had a good holiday season since 2009 and I’m sick of it!

I won’t be taking any medication, I will be doing some soul searching and finding out what make me happy. I will then start doing the things that make me happy….i guess I’m NOT clinically depressed.

I do have one question for Julie, the author of this newsletter. Do you think it’s wise to start off your MS 2013 newsletter on such a DEPRESSING topic? Why not give people some hope and love, they go further!

January 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm
(7) martha birney says:

I have been depressed sometimes throughout my life; however, I think the MS form of depression is different. I was caught off-guard by the severe crying and suicidal thinking. What made me mad though was that I went to the MS Clinic where I saw the MS nurse practitioner whom I had never met with before. She was so freaked by my demeanor and speech that she sent me to the Psych. ER where after 5 hours and $3000 (my cost) I was released. The mistrust I developed was not alleviated by my MS doctor’s call the next day so I have learned to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself or to be shared with my husband. I don’t think this is the best strategy for depression; therefore have access to a psychiatrist–just in case.
Currently I am taking a lot of medications. Gilenya for the MS, Gabapentin for pain, and Mirtazapine for depression and sleeplessness. I try not to be hard on myself, but the MS seems to have made my perfectionism worse while, ironically, had such an affect on my speech, balance, and mental state.

January 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm
(8) April Harman says:

I first went in for depression, the psychiatrist seemed very focused on childhood events that i just didn’t feel were impacting me anymore. I stopped going after a couple of sessions. At the same time I saw a general practitioner for fatigue. The Dr did ask me to complete done blood work but I never bothered my husband and i were fighting constantly because was unable to keep up. I was behind everyone for help but my symptoms were strange and everyone said it wad all in my head. An mri was done when one day I woke up unable to use my right arm. Stil, medicine continued to fail me add it took 2 weeks fur anyone to prescribe steroids as everyone assumed someone else had done it. By this point, I was nearly paralyzed on my rightaside.

January 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm
(9) L. Harrison says:

First, I want to say that this forum is absolutely the right place to discuss depression. I have been diagnosed with MS for only a couple of years but I have been fighting depression for at least 15 years. I don’t know if the depression is worse since my MS diagnosis, but the help I get with MS is so much better than the help I get with depression. Here’s one sad thing about it: I have been on anti-depressants for so long that I can no longer cry! My parents have both died in the past 15 years, and I, too, have had severe problems with my daughter (drugs etc) but I haven’t been able to cry. Of course I am sad all the time, but I am to the point where I think that feeling sad doesn’t matter anymore because nothing matters anymore. I just don’t care. But I do follow up on the MS because it scares me so much. I think I deserve to have MS because my life is quite worthless and it may as well be me who suffers. I have no idea what is ahead. Thanks for reading this, and please know I am not feeling sorry for myself. I might be, but I definitely don’t want sympathy from anyone. Don’t waste your emotions on me.

January 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm
(10) Kathy says:

I just want to say to Jennifer in comment number 6 above that Julie is very uplifting and realistic. I believe she talks about relevant topics at relevant times. My vitamin D levels drop this time of year because of the lack of sunshine, and my depression is always worse this time of year. I am always glad to see someone talking about these things because being alone and thinking you are the only one is a problem. Anyone who thinks that you can smile and do fun things to relieve true depression has never been depressed. I am 49 years old…dx with MS two and a half years ago. I have been depressed twice in my life enough to need medication to get out of it. Once before my dx in my 20′s for a couple years, and since last October. I was pulling out of it and 99% recovered when I had a close family member die, so I have stayed on my medication to get through the winter. My symptoms both times have been tippped off by a difficult situation in my life that was hard to deal with. The medication helps you cope with your over the top emotions and bouts of irrational behavior to give you a deep breath to stop and work out your issues. I am a very optimistic and over-the-top happy person, so depression is not something I was prepared for either time it happened. My neuro indicated that the MS meds I am on have long been suspected of causing depression especially coupled with the event I was dealing with. Julie–keep talking about everything……we need these discussions because no one knows better than those of us “in the club” how hard these things are to discuss with people who do not understand MS or how hard it is to know what MS is causing or is not related at all to MS. Not even my docs know, but i is so nice to discuss with others who feel the same way.

January 2, 2013 at 4:27 pm
(11) Jerry says:

My mom couldn’t understand why I am not competitive. I couldn’t memorize very well and was spoken harshly to as a child. Overhearing someone mention “self esteem” and thinking I might kinda know what it was, I asked Moma and she said “shut up, I’ll tell you sometime. I married the man who tho was described as the most possible wrong man for me. We have been married 42 years. I was supposed to have been cut off from my sister and family if I married him but wasn’t. I suffered facial numbness, hard to breathe deep, and other minor ticks and was given vallium which I could only take at night because I worked days. 15 years later I took a job teaching 8th grade remedial math with 36 kids in a class, many of them driving, one unwed mother, one genius who with several would turn 17 that year, quit and get married. The day after spring break I woke up to a loss of control on the entire left side. After a week in the hospital, the spinal tap was the only positive result. 4 years later an MRI was positive after losing only small motor control and severe depression. There was no treatment at time so I started on meds for depression. Those have changed and increased even so I became obsessed that my mother called me stupid, couldnt do anything right, and never would amount to anything. After we married she told my husband I let her down, failed her, never lived up to her expectations. I still feel judged by my family and have let go my obsession by realizing some of it is selfish pride. I am on copaxone and missing a couple of doses of that or my effexor send me into deptression. Keeping busy helps, now that I am retired and just knowing we all make mistakes and to live trying to forgive makes a difference. My husband has been nothing but the most wonderful gift from heaven and loves me through it all and spoils me so hugely with undemanding love. It is greatly returned.

January 2, 2013 at 6:30 pm
(12) girlpower says:

The first sign of my depression was right now in this moment. for 7 years i have lived with MS, the pain, the fatigue, and recently the mental fog or dysfunction, its when all of the above and this article together in the moment i do feel depressed. All my life i have been the well one, the positive one, and when i first got ms until now, i have risen above all the doubt and realization of depression and was able to keep my head above it all. Well this is a new thing for me to admit that i have been feeling myself slipping further back into new territory, since i have never been depressed i didn’t know what it was like. Well now i do and yes i am depressed and i know it. Its scary, its like i barely make it though each day, and then night comes and i lie down and start to think, and think. And then with the power of ambien i shut it off and wake up and at the beginning of the new day i find solace and i see the world anew. I just feel like i have been in denial and i didn’t want any of my family or friends to find out i am a big phony, i just act like everything is ok for their sake, and now where do i go with all this, nothing has changed except my ability to mask it all. For a long time its all been one big denial that today rears its ugly head and i can see it all in the light. I will not let this break my spirit, i will survive this. No one seems to understand that i may look the same but something is very wrong and its all been one big production trying to make everyone else feel like I’m ok, but really I’m not. My next step is to get out into the fresh air, get more exercise and share this all with someone

January 2, 2013 at 10:05 pm
(13) Sharon says:

So glad that depression and MS are being discussed on the same page. My husband and I give a talk called IT’s Time – discussing depression and the stigma associated with it.
I am 59 and have suffered from depression since adolescence. I started seeing a psychiatrist in my 20′s. She was excellent yet could never get a handle on my depression – she tried group therapy, cognitive therapy and lots of meds. Each med. would work for awhile and then then the depression came back. I was diagnosed with probable MS 6 years ago and started Copaxone and stayed on prozac and lamictal and did great with the depression. My psychiatrist’s opinion was that the MS was responsible for the depression. By that I mean not being upset about the MS symptoms but due to the effect of MS on the brain.
Sad to say lots of MS flair ups this last spring so was taken off of Copaxone. I had to see a new neurologist due to a move and he says I don’t have MS because my spinal tap is clear. ^ years on Copaxone and serious flare ups and he says it is somatic illness.
This was quite upsetting.n
Since I am off the copaxone my depression is back.
My husband, a physician and I both feel it is MS.
Would appreciate any comments on others regarding getting somatic illness diagnoses.
Wishing every a good new year

January 2, 2013 at 10:12 pm
(14) Candy says:

I have been dealing with depression for the past two years, but it has nothing to do with my MS. It is because I was in a bad marriage, recently separated, lost my car, will soon lose my house, can’t pay all my bills because my ex doesn’t give me anything, and I’m overweight and have no friends. I don’t take any medications because they won’t fix the things causing my depression. Having MS certainly doesn’t help, but it is also not the cause. Sorry to be such a downer.

January 2, 2013 at 10:40 pm
(15) Jeri says:

I didn’t realize how depressed I was until the day my doctor said we should talk about anti-depressants. I started to cry, and sobbed, “I’m not depressed”, and I knew that he was right. That was about 5 years before my diagnosis. I just thought my life stunk, bad things seemed to happen to me or my family, and I went through most of the other classic depression traits. I felt better knowing that it wasn’t just me having a bad day after the MS diagnosis. It actually brought some relief, that there was an explanation.

It was one of the first things my doctor talked about with me once the diagnosis was on the table. Since then, I started seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist, I’ve been very fortunate to find a psychologist (my third try) who has a chronic illness of his own so we can talk about it much more personally. My psychiatrist had a family member with MS so she had a special understanding of it, too. She moved away, and now I have a new one who doesn’t know a whole lot about it but asks me a lot of questions.

I’ve tried almost every anti-depressant out there, and I’ve failed on every one. Some made me feel worse, some seemed to make no difference. I know I felt like nothing was going to be OK again. Now I take a mix of 3 meds that keeps me pretty even. Sometimes I still have bad and sad days, but they aren’t as extreme as they were. I wasn’t getting enough sleep, either, and now I take a sleep medicine which helps me manage my mood better.

I think it’s a cruel twist that I can be depressed because I have MS or because MS has messed with my moods. It’s a vicious circle. One doctor once told me that of course I’m depressed, I have brain damage. That hit me hard, and I still don’t want to hear that. Without the help of the doctors I’ve found, the love of my husband (and patience too) who picks me up when I’m very low,and the willingness to let them all talk to one another, I’m afraid to think about where I’d be now.

January 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm
(16) Julie T. says:

I think it might be a matter of the chicken vs. the egg thing in my case. My mother died from M.S. complications when I was all of 8. There has always been a sense do melancholy about me ever since. Did this mild depression unchecked for so many years help to trigger my M.S.? I guess I’ll never know for sure. Interestingly enough, I saw a segment on CNN that made the assumption that 50% of depression is biological (sorry, I don’t have any references to post). My father was what I know now to be a depressed man, while my mother’s side do the family – the side that is currently being studied as an “M.S. Cluster Family” – does not seem to exhibit any signs of clinical depression. So, biologically, my M.S. stems from my mother’s side, while my bouts with depression more than likely stem from the paternal, non-M.S. side of the family. I am one of 5 siblings and the only one to have M.S. and depression, so maybe it was a perfect storm fed by both parents.

In any case, I do take An AD and it helps.

For me, the jury between depression and M.S. is still out.

January 3, 2013 at 3:53 am
(17) Katherine says:

First sign of depression? Knowing that my 20 year marriage was about to end. Whether it was due to my diagnosis of M.S. (or not), is a serious question; I’m not sure.
I was diagnosed in 1997 and things were never the same. I felt that I was being treated like a “damaged” person, or that something was wrong with me. What an awful experience. I hope no one else has “ever” experienced that feeling. That “alone” was enough to put me into a serious depression.
Luckily, I went for counseling, with a Professional Psychiatrist, who prescribed Effexor XR at my first session. I was gradually increased (as needed) and I found that I felt so much better in about one month. That was a good thing because I needed all the strength available (to me), to get through my husbands depression and addiction to internet sex, and possibly drugs. My Psychiatrist insisted that he was taking drugs of some kind, but I never saw it other than his depression and refusal to relate to family and friends. He seemed to just give up on life.
Being on Effexor allowed me to get through the divorce and move on with my life as a single person. I took a major step and even moved out of a state that I hated for many, many years. It was a life changer.

I hope this helps others!

January 3, 2013 at 4:15 am
(18) ann says:

hi ,i was diognosed in july after 15 months of not feeling well .i had to leave my job ,and had my driving licence taken of me due to the strengh of the medication im taking ,,was constantly exhausted and in pain ,so became withdrawn and never really saw anybody dueto where i live ,i began to have these thoughts that i didnt want to be here anymore ,and couldnt stop crying ,so i emailed my ms nurse ,who phoned my dr i have now been on anti depresants for 2 weeks and going to have some counsilling as my life has change so much and im only 49 , i am feeling better and more posotive ,

January 3, 2013 at 11:19 am
(19) Ann says:

I was diagnosed with M.S. at age 25, 5 months after giving birth. I became depressed with anxiety and developed a drinking problem. I used exercise, walking, and aerobics which helped me feel more positive. I went back to work and met some people who attended A.A. I joined A.A. and have been sober for 24 yrs. The feelings of saddness persisted. I had difficulty getting out of bed. I felt like I had done something wrong, ” guilty” I had a lot of negative thoughts. I woke up early in the morning and couldn’t get back to sleep. I lost interest in things I liked to do. I started taking antidepressants and felt a lot better. The Wellbutrin helped me stay out of bed and the celexa makes me feel alive. I recommend antidepressant treatment along with exercise as tolerated. Lately I have found yoga and aquasize have helped with pain and stiffness. I am on disability from work due to cognitive impairment. I miss working with people so am doing volunteer work. I have assistance with housework. I plan my meals for the day in the morning and eat a healthy diet. I eat four chocolate covered almonds daily, they help the antidepressants work. I go for a daily walk, both for the exercise and exposure to sunlight, they both help depression. I think a combination of things help me cope.

January 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm
(20) Penny says:

My first noticed sign of depression after MS diagnosis was that I had little to no tolerance of other people around me. I found I had tolerace only for those closest to me.
I still do not like having people get too close to me, no shopping trips, no home visits, no social gatherings. I just can’t handle such things any longer.
Most people just do not, cannot, understand.

January 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm
(21) Cindy says:

Hello Julie, thank you for all you do for us with M.S.
I learn a lot reading your columns and the people who respond to you.
I was first diagnosed right after my mother died. I was definitely depressed at that time. I have been taking Lexapro for a few years now. I am starting to wonder if it is working any longer. I seem to be having trouble getting anything accomplished. I am happiest when it is later in the day and I get to retreat to books. I’m sure it is a way for me to escape my situation. I also volunteer at the SPCA and TLC the cats. This helps me a lot and gives me joy.

January 3, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(22) Stacy H. says:

I was dx’d w/MS in 1985, at age 25. I immediately “forgot” the diagnosis for the next 25 years. At age 29, I realized that I was very depressed and very fatigued (w/3 little boys to care for!). My GP recommended Prozac…and it was a lifesaver for me. I always have chalked it up to having 2 chronic alcoholics for parents w/depression at the forefront. My younger sister has been severely depressed most of her life, and has fallen victim to alcoholism as well.

So over all these years, I have tried many different SSRI’s. It really is trial and error with the meds – as a few have absolutely not worked. The psychiatrist I’ve been seeing the last 9 yrs. (strictly meds mgmt) has not only educated me as to the chemical breakdowns of the drugs, but he has also been a much bigger advocate for natural supplements to help my SPMS & cognitive difficulties than my neuro has ever been. I also take Nuvigil, which helps me tremendously w/energy & focus. It raises dopamine levels, whereas the 2 SSRI’s I take target serotonin levels (Zoloft & Lamictal).

So for 25 years, I never attributed my depression to MS. And whether it’s a hereditary thing and/or MS – I thank God (literally) for the people who invented these drugs that really can & do help people.

January 4, 2013 at 12:44 am
(23) Denise says:

I worked at a nursing home and got very close to the residents. I treated them like they were my family member. While at this nursing home, I had worked in many positions. I worked as Admissions/Marketing, Social Services, and then Activities. The company I originally worked for was great. It was like we were a family. Then the rug was pulled out from under us. The company was sold to a bigger company who didn’t have the compassion and the caring for the residents. My position was stripped from Admission/Marketing to Activities. I know Activities are important, but this is when my depression really started. I was down in the dumps more frequently, tearful, and even thought of suicide. This caused me more stress, that I was having chest pains and ended up having a heart catherization.

IMy first sign of depression was being sad and crying at the drop of a hat. I was on an emotional roller coaster. I think I can go back a long way to when my symptoms began before I was actually dx with MS.

I was dx Nov.3, 2009. That was the same day I found out my family doctor was leaving. Those 2 things alone caused my to cry and cry. My doctor and I had become friends, so this felt like I was losing a family member. An having MS, I didn’t feel like I had anyone to talk too. My doctor did put me on Cymbalta. This has seemed to help.

January 4, 2013 at 7:47 pm
(24) Louise says:

I do believe the damage of brain from MS has caused my depression now. I have had it in the past before MS but it has been 5 years since MS diagnosis and I have had sadness issues dealing with the changes in my body but the depression I have now is not like the sadness and morning when you lose someone or a broken marriage (both of which I have been through before). This is a whole new ball game. MS triggered depression is really hard to explain…it just messes with your head so much and I can’t think straight…can’t handle being asked questions or being interrupted when doing something. Medication has helped with the feelings of absolute …can’t think of a word…..alienation?…I think that best describes it. I feel totally apart from the world around me at times. I certainly don’t feel like me…if that makes sense. …. see next post to continue….

January 4, 2013 at 7:48 pm
(25) Louise says:

continuing from previous post… MS depression is definitely different to other depression illnesses. And the reality is that MS has the highest suicide rate of ALL the medical illnesses. I don’t believe this is because it is any harder to live with then other illnesses. I do believe it is because of the damage to the brain and the in ability to control what is thought sometimes. Like I keep thinking it is say 1982 when I logically know it is 2013. But I really feel and think it is 1982 or some other year. Or I keep thinking it is March or something when it maybe November. I can accept when people tell me the correct month but I don’t feel like it is. My brain tries to tell me differently. I have learnt to trust those around me but can not go anywhere with out people i know really well. And this is NOT the me I know. I was so independent and helped others and was very very busy. I rode a motorbike and road all over NSW and QLD with my hubby. Riding 500km a day was fairly common. Now I can’t drive, have difficulty walking and can’t work. I am reliant on people to help me…..it is hard to accept but that isn’t what my depression is about. My depression doesn’t have a reason..it is just there….and that is the scary part. All the counselling and pills won’t make it disappear but they do help to keep me reasonably sane.
So to any MS depression sufferers out there… I am thinking of you and I understand. Take heart in knowing you are not alone. And councelling at least once a month is really really helpful even if it doesn’t make it go away…it gives you an outlet to balance things in your mind. Take Care

January 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(26) Pamela says:

Depression hit when I realized controlling it would be very, very difficult. After diagnosis I was ready for the challenge. I could still carry on life as usual, cleaning house, planning/making dinners, big gardens from which I canned all I could, beautiful flowers, long walks with my labs and lots of time in the woods…..I don’t need to go further.

I am a product of the 1960s. The ” we can do it all” generation and I did. I was not frightened by challenges and did conquer many but those not I knew I gave it my all and still felt good and accomplished.

I’ve had MS for eight years and it is now rearing its ugly head. All through these eight years when a symptom would get worse I would tell myself just rest a bit and it will pass. It would and the feeling of empowerment/strength would return.

Well, I just finished my first series of three steroid infusions. Never in my wildest imaginings did I think it’d ever get this horrible. So, yes I am depressed. My neurologist, the MS Nurse, my Primary Care Physician and I are working together to beat this beast. My support people are absolutely wonderful, especially my husband whose support is relentless.

January 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm
(27) Pamela says:

Well, I just finished my first series of three steroid infusions. Never in my wildest imaginings did I think it’d ever get this horrible. So, yes I am depressed! My neurologist, the MS Nurse, my Primary Care Physician are working together to help me beat this beast. My support people are absolutely wonderful, especially my husband whose love and encouragement are unending. But it is still very difficult to deal with.

January 27, 2013 at 11:04 am
(28) Robin says:

I have been dealing with both major and minor depression since I was a child. After 30 years of trying various medications, I was prescribed Savella about a year ago. This seems to be the only thing that has worked for longer than a week.

I was diagnosed with MS about five years ago (over 12 years after I first went to a neurologist for symptoms that were clearly related to MS). Looking back over the past 17 or so years, I realized that some of my most severe episodes of depression occurred around the time of my most severe, but undiagnosed, MS problems. So, I wasn’t depressed about “having MS” because I wasn’t diagnosed with it. As a result of this, I do believe there is a clear relationship between inflammation-MS-depression.

One neurologist told me that there was some research showing that depression can be a marker for the later development of certain neurological diseases. Another neurologist told me that because my depression predated my MS, it wasn’t related to the MS. In any case, as various medical professionals kept telling me that I was a neurotic hypochondriac until the day my MRI showed I had brain and spine lesions, I have very little confidence in them to get anything right. Thanks for the opportunity to vent –

October 18, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(29) dragon on dragonvale says:

of course like your web-site however you have
to check the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I
to find it very bothersome to inform the truth on the other hand I’ll certainly come again again.