1. Health
Julie  Stachowiak, Ph.D.

What Are Your New Year's Resolutions?

By December 31, 2012

I have a nosy question: What are your new year's resolutions for 2013? I'm curious to see how other people with MS approach this habit that we all have of making big decisions about sweeping (or trivial) lifestyle changes. I know that I follow the pattern of most people and make big promises to myself, stay with my new program for a week or two and then, more often than not, slip back into old habits.

I really want to know how many of you are determined to put effort into things directed at making you feel physically better and how many of you are going to concentrate on the mental or emotional side of things.

I also want to hear from those of you who have decided NOT to make any resolutions this year.

Above all, I would love to hear from those of you who have made resolutions in the past and were actually able to keep them.

Please leave your resolutions in the comments section below.

Comments
January 1, 2013 at 2:51 am
(1) double vision says:

I haven’t made one for years, why start now

January 1, 2013 at 10:55 pm
(2) kjbarn says:

Ugh, just finished 3 days on 1000mg a day dose in the hospital. Although my leg is sarting to recover after losing the ability to use it, I hate taking that much steroids. I worry about what it does to my poor bones, but I am happy I can walk. Feel free to visit my blog and thank you for your storieshttp://drawingthelinems.blogspot.com

January 2, 2013 at 10:55 am
(3) Mary P says:

I am going to try to give up diet soda…switched from regular to “diet” years ago and thought…well that’s healthy!! I have been reading that the artificial sweetners send signals to the brain that make you crave more “sweet”….I have certainly noticed that I needed more and more to ‘taste’ the sweet…I started limiting the diet soda a month or so ago and noticed I don’t get up nearly as much to ‘pee’ during the night…could the artificial sweetners be the culprit? I don’t know but if so, what a benefit…I miss them a lot but my reading is that I need ti ‘retrain’ my brain…we’ll see…wish me luck!!

January 2, 2013 at 11:04 am
(4) Brenda says:

I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions. Why start the year out lying to myself? I try to take each day as it comes and do the best I can with it.

January 2, 2013 at 11:48 am
(5) Cathy says:

I don’t make resolutions, but sometimes I do something (like make a vet appointment for the cat) that I have meant to do for a long time. I count that as a resolution and check it off!

January 2, 2013 at 11:59 am
(6) Abby Green says:

My resolution last year was to quit smoking which i did This year I am gona lose at least 15-20 lbs My inability to exercise because of balance problems and meds im on for my MS has caused a weight gain with Gods help I will do it!!

January 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm
(7) Kim says:

After learning that my neuro saw progression on my last MRI more than an exacerbation, I have decided to really focus on my health this year. I am trying the Swank diet and trying to exercise more.

January 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(8) Sharon says:

My new years resolution is to be kinder and gentler to myself. It is often said that we are our own worst enemy. I believe this to be true, especially for those of us who remember how things used to be, pre-illness.

January 2, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(9) imdhreeves says:

Although already 3 months into it I resolve to continue to follow my new way of eating, “vegan no oil”. It is bit more strict than the Swank diet. I hope it has similar benefits to help keep my MS in remission and to help my body heal from earlier injuries I have done to myself by eating the standard American diet. So far I am feeling better than before and am finally loosing weight. I am also off of some of my medications which were surely contributing to the nausea I have had for the last 3 years. It is great to wake up without the nausea.
I think that I have been able to keep the resolution so far because I do feel better and am loosing weight. Additionally I have smaller grocery bills and am getting a more sensitive tongue. I can taste flavors now that I never noticed before, for instance cucumbers and brussels sprouts are sweet. I am trying to concentrate on the good I am experiencing so temptation can be kept at bay. I am wanting to eat less salt with this new tongue.
Good luck to all of you who are trying to get healthier in 2013.
imdhreeves

January 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(10) AmberTia says:

Oh, I can make lots of NY resolutions whilst lying in bed. It’s the actual getting out of bed and pushing to do them that’s the problem. When you only have a few good hours a day before your legs say “That’s enough now” and your back starts to ache, it’s kind of hard to get very much done. I tried to find some reason to be by indulging in a bit of gardening last year only to find myself with pots of lovelies ready to plant sitting there for several months, leaves slowly dying off. Ho hum.

January 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm
(11) Cathy in Ohio says:

This year I resolve to turn 60. I have to say that I stole the idea from my daughter, who has resolved to turn 30. Anything else will be a bonus!

January 2, 2013 at 6:48 pm
(12) Kim says:

Last year my resolution was no eggs, and no milk products, so vegan plus fish. I added walking half way through the year and lost a total of 70 lbs. This year one of my resolutions is vegan+fish, add sit-ups, and other exercises. If the Lord is willing, I am going to be losing the rest of my weight for a finish of 160 lbs. That’s my resolution.

January 2, 2013 at 8:40 pm
(13) Crosscheck says:

I had resolved to sing in the shower but on the very first of January I knew that this was a bad idea. Except for my crappy version of “Happy birthday to you” I resolve not to sing unless accompanied by a few thousand people.

January 2, 2013 at 10:50 pm
(14) Susan says:

My new year resolution is to find a rewarding volunteer position. I am fortunate to be working full time, but giving back is always a positive. Hoping for contentment in 2013.

January 3, 2013 at 10:04 am
(15) behrooz says:

walking is my 1st problem and fatigue is very big problem.

January 3, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(16) janice says:

i resolve to sew more. i can’t sew for vey long at a time, but like everything i do it for a little bit and it adds up. just because i can’t do something all day… the results of any of those activities is very satisfiying, and momentum engendering.

January 3, 2013 at 7:53 pm
(17) Ann says:

My New Year’s resolution is to be mindful of the “blessings” I have, I remind myself of them daily. I am working on feeling comfortable with doing less on a daily basis, I give myself credit for accomplished tasks. I am keeping the ” to do” list small. If something fun comes along I want to be ready.

January 6, 2013 at 8:32 pm
(18) Wendy says:

My resolution to myself (for all year not just New Year) is to continue following Professor George Jelinek’s Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis recommendations. So far and after 3 years, I have lost 14 pounds and 12 MS symptoms. I feel and look better than I have for years. So my plant based plus fish low saturated fat diet, plus essential fatty acid supplements and vitamin D are definitely working.

January 12, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(19) Lucy says:

I have stopped making NY resolutions because I don’t follow through and then get depressed because I don’t follow through. I retired three years ago and have been doing aqua aerobics. My mother always told me it was great but I wasn’t interested. It has been the best thing I have done for myself in years. I lost a few pounds and I can fall asleep at night, although I still get up many times to pee.

September 17, 2013 at 4:15 pm
(20) how to lose weight off thighs without exercise says:

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how on the topic of unpredicted emotions.

my web page <a href=”http://tidylink.net/1jlul”>how to lose weight off thighs without exercise</a>