1. Health
Julie  Stachowiak, Ph.D.

Night Sweats and Multiple Sclerosis?

By March 14, 2011

For years, I have endured awful night sweats. It has been pretty common for me to wake up at 3:00 am, with my soaking-wet sheets stuck to me. My routine is to get out of bed, practically remake the bed, and crawl in on top of my top sheet. My husband really loves this middle-of-the-night fussiness, as one can imagine.

I can't link it to anything besides the MS. It is listed on the Copaxone package insert as a rare side effect, but I had this before I ever started Copaxone. It doesn't seem to correlate with the temperature in the room or the heaviness of the covers. It probably gets worse with hormonal changes throughout the month, but never goes away.

One thing I know DEFINITELY causes night sweats in me is a course of Solu-Medrol, but I haven't had the pleasure of having one of those in several years.

All I could find on this was a pretty questionable article that mentioned that 36% of people with MS have moderate night sweats and an additional 16% have severe night sweats - this was from someone who seemed to be advertising a bed topper to solve this problem, with no source of data mentioned. I did find some more reputable references that said night sweats were linked to some neurological problems, like stroke and autonomic neuropathy, but no mention of MS.

So, I'm asking all of you. Is this another one of those crazy unexplained symptoms of MS (that belongs on our list of Julie's List of Weird MS Symptoms and Phenomena) or it is just me? Do any of you have this annoying phenomenon? Have you linked it to any medication you are taking or anything else? Share your stories in the comments section below.

Comments
March 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm
(1) Deb says:

Oh my gosh…I thought I was the only one! I have horrible night sweats – not every night – but often. The temperature of the room doesn’t seem to matter – they happen in all seasons – in all temps. And I too, must change my clothes – and often the sheets. They have happened long before I began Copaxone as well. And while they are at times more frequent based on hormones…that doesn’t seem to matter much either!

March 14, 2011 at 11:00 pm
(2) Linda says:

I’ve also had night sweats for years, long before I started taking Copaxone. It isn’t every night, but is annoyingly too often. I thougth I was starting menopause early, but after 10 years, I figure it has to be something else.

March 14, 2011 at 11:52 pm
(3) Zee says:

OMG, yes, I get them too. Like the other commenters, I don’t get them every night and the room temp doesn’t seem to matter. I keep my room cool even in winter and I get them regularly – waking up with the sheets and my jammies soaked. :( I’ve been on Avonex, Copaxone and am now on Tysabri (3 years in!) and the meds I’m on don’t seem to matter.

Btw: I also wanted to say thanks, Julie, for your fantastic blog – I stumbled upon it a few months ago and have found it really informative, useful and interesting!! Definitely keep up the good work!!

April 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(4) Debi says:

I would love to have the link to Julie’s blog!

August 10, 2011 at 12:42 am
(5) Edina Dziho says:

I would love to have link to Debi’s blog as well.

October 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm
(6) Mia says:

I have night sweats as well I take tysabri and I have told my neurologist , and he seemed confused …. Ah help!

March 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm
(7) Cyndi says:

It’s not just you! Thinking back over the last 15 years, (probably was when my MS started) I was having heat issues all the time, menopause made it worse.
My hot flashes became hot “Events”.
They would hit every 10 to 15 minutes and last just as long….
Flash forward 15 years…menopause under control…
then DXed with MS this last Dec.
Now the heat comes at evening only, mostly in my head and upper torso, and is getting on my nerves! (Or what little nerve I have left!)
So it’s not the Copaxone doing this to me, mentioned it to my doctor, and he seems to be surprised by it!
Guess all his other MS patients don’t have this issue? Really? Not one? Hummmm…I doubt it.
So I take frozen gel packs to bed to put under my pillowcase, throw open the bedroom windows, run the ceiling fan, wet the sheets….anything to stay cool, using all my old cooling tricks learned with menopause.
My poor husband is freezing this winter!
There are many products devoted just for this MS concern,
Polarproducts.com is one resource I’ve found.
They even have an “Ice Cap”! ( although its very pricey.)
Yes all of this makes me so eager for summer! Not! Lol!
Stay cool my friends!

March 15, 2011 at 6:12 am
(8) Cissi says:

Thank you, good to find I am not alone in this either. This happens to me to, not every night but sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night “on fire”. It is like a thermostat going crazy. I have to go out of bed to cool down. Sometimes this helps and I can go to sleep again normally, but sometimes I just continue to be really warm and have a hard time getting any sleep. The strangest feeling is when the cooling off goes to far and I start to shiver with cold even under double blankets. Strange MS symptoms.

March 15, 2011 at 7:44 am
(9) Rix says:

Dear Julie,

I had night sweats for years. Then I got my D-vitamin level examined.

Now it’s 99% gone, and I’m on the rigth level on vitamin D.

I hope you all can use this information.

Greetings, Rix – from Denmark.

March 17, 2011 at 7:46 am
(10) Sharon Lakey-Jean says:

Thanks for the info on Vit D. I will start that TODAY! We shall see.

April 23, 2011 at 8:28 pm
(11) Rix says:

Hi Sharon,

I’m sad to say, but my night sweats are back again. And my vitmin D levels are OK. Gues we have to look for other answers:-)

Greetings

Rix the Dane

March 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm
(12) Diane T says:

Yes. Night sweats happen to me almost everynight. I thought maybe it was the start of menopause, but I am not so sure after reading this. I am 46. Maybe it is the MS. I have to sleep on my back with pillows under by knees to avoid leg cramps. I take Zanaflex at before going to bed. I usually have a few glasses of before that.

March 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm
(13) barbara says:

An elderly patient on the verge of an MRI and likely diagnosis, I’ve had the night sweats along with many other symptoms for years. Have to reshower before going out–a drag. Dismissed for MS in the years before the electronic tests and MRI, I settled uncomfortably for the maligned chronic fatigue diagnosis. It fit, but I’ve now learned I have symptoms that relate solely to the MS type diseases. Optical problems, coordination, etc.

April 23, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(14) Barbara says:

I can relate to your “missed” diagnosis so well! I first began having symptoms in my 30′s, but was not diagnosed until I was 62 yrs. olf. I am now 68. Even the NeurologistIi was going to for several years, said I did NOT have MS when my Urologist suggested that was the problem for my bladder problems. DUH! Needless to say, I did not continue to go to her after another doctor ordered tests and I was diagnosed. I wish you the best of luck! And, yes, I do have night sweats.
Dee Dee

March 15, 2011 at 10:21 pm
(15) Melinda says:

Let me add my voice to the chorus. I have PPMS and have never been on Copaxone or any other disease-modifying drug because none have been approved for PPMS. Yes, I am going through menopause and I’m sure that has contributed to the problem, but the night sweats have been horrific lately. I saw on TV that acupuncture might help. Anybody tried this?

March 15, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(16) judith says:

Yes, I’ve had nights sweat for over 20 years, since I was in my mid 20s. They are worse right before my cycle starts again, worse in the winter or when the room is too cold. Better in the summer, or when the room is warm or even too hot (which is counter to the menopause theory).

It tends to let up if I wipe myself down when I wake up drenched. I now keep a small towel near my bed so that I can stay in place and try to not fully wake up to do this. And what helps the most is if I keep one leg out from under the covers, even if it feels too cold at first.

My theory is that my proprioception and thermoregulation are off, and with only my face out in the cold air, my system mistakenly thinks my whole body is cold and cranks up the furnace. The leg outside the cover seems to make my internal thermostat take into account my warm body parts in between my cold face and leg.

March 16, 2011 at 12:27 am
(17) Tanya says:

Wow! I’ve been getting night sweats for the last few years, no matter what temperature the rooms is (I even turned the heat down recently) or what I’m wearing to bed, and I’ll still wake up with the sheets soaked. It never occurred to me that it might be MS related. Chalk one more weird symptom coming from out of nowhere! At least this one is mostly benign, since it doesn’t usually wake me up. Though I must say I’m sleeping MUCH better since turning down the heat overnight.

March 16, 2011 at 5:19 am
(18) Dot says:

Have you had a check on thyroid function? A simple blood test would lay this possibility to rest. Overactive thyroid can cause symptoms like those you describe.

March 16, 2011 at 9:20 am
(19) Olivia says:

I don’t experience nights sweats so to speak (though I do wake up very warm in the middle of the night), but what happens to me is this. Between 2 pm and 3:30 pm in the afternoon I get a terrible hot flash. Almost like clock work. This doesn’t last long and goes away as fast it it appears. I am past menopause and have wondered for a while now if this is MS related. Wondering if anyone else experiences this weird symptom.

March 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm
(20) Margaret says:

Me too!!! It’s been happening for YEARS!!! Long before the copaxone… thanks for sharing because it’s helpful to know that I’m not the only one :)

March 16, 2011 at 1:10 pm
(21) CB says:

Nightsweats ditto!
I too am on Copaxone.
I too do not have them every nite.

March 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm
(22) Amy says:

I have had night sweats continuously for the last 3 years. As so many of the others it does not matter about room temp., menstrual cycle. I wake up soaking wet every night and have to change. It is nice to know I am not the only one!!

March 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm
(23) barbara says:

Can’t find the opt-out for the sweats discussion. Too much to read right now

I do wonder how many MS patients do not have the night sweats and if any would bother to comment. Stiil good to know it’s common.

Opt out, please. Thanks.

March 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm
(24) vicki says:

My husband has MS and has had horrible night sweats that are now cleared after 1 year of being treated for babesia and lyme disease.

March 16, 2011 at 2:14 pm
(25) Renee Drew says:

Night sweats aren’t too frequent. (PTL!) Thought it was menopause. Haven’t done Copaxone for several years.

March 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm
(26) Sonia says:

My husband has ms and he had night sweats (soaked sheets in the dead of winter) within 6 months of the onset of his initial symptoms. We mentioned the sweats to the doctor when he had his first symptoms, which prompted the doc to test for lyme disease (which came back negative). The night sweats continued for a few months, then disappeared.

March 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm
(27) Sherri says:

I, too, have night sweats. I’m not on any of the DMDs and I think I’m a little young to be going through menopause (39). I’ve noticed the sweating only effects my lower extremities. I have them almost every night between 3-4 a.m. I would imagine this has something to do with lesions on the hypothalmus, since it regulates body temperature. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one going through this!

March 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(28) Golda says:

Yep, me, too! I thought it might be peri-menopause. I took Copaxone years ago, but don’t anymore, so maybe it is the MS. I actually get up and go into the guest room when this happens.

March 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(29) Lynn says:

have to second that ‘OMG, I thought it as just me”, also!
I was wondering why I still get the night sweats sporadically after I went through the changes, 4 yrs ago.
I would be willing to accept the fact that it was STILL menopause, if it occurred with some type of predictability; but there seems to be no rhyme reason.

Sometimes they just happen

Is there anything about MS that makes sense, at all?

Or a better question might be ;
” when is the medical comunity going to catch up with what we deal with?”

March 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm
(30) Liz says:

I get night sweats and have for years. We keep our house cool year round so it’s not the room temperature. I wake up mostly very hot, especially my legs and feet. I pull the covers back to cool off and sometimes use a cooling scarf. It happens every night but not always sweats. The disrupted sleep is worse than the fact I’m very hot.

March 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(31) Heather says:

Any guys with night sweats?

March 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm
(32) Tony says:

I have had night sweats for several years now. More nights than not, I have them and they are pretty severe. My sheets are soaked, I literally have to dry my hair with a towel. Like others, I can find no specific reason that causes them. Mine are all upper body, mostly my head, but often half of my torso as well.

March 16, 2011 at 6:12 pm
(33) Lane says:

Wow, me too!
I started wearing workout pants and a tshirt to bed years ago because I hated waking up with slimy sweaty legs, but sometimes I’ll wake up soaked through my clothes too.
Kinda like a good cleanse, right? :)
It happens sporadically, and I never noticed a correlation between sweatiness and room temperature or covers, or daily activity/workouts, it was always seemingly random but I just assumed normal for me.
yay, now I have an explanation, thanks everyone!

March 16, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(34) Robin says:

I have this problem too, although I’ve posted other problems under “wacky symptoms of MS” on this site :o ) It seems to come and go. I read a posting on another forum where someone suggested that it is a symptom of CNS dysregulation, which makes sense to me,

March 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm
(35) Colleen Richardson says:

I also experience night sweats and RLS. There seems to be no instigating factors associated to these. Some nights are much worse than others, with associated “fatigue” the next day.

March 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(36) Lee-Lee says:

I am also on Copaxone (since Nov. 2010). Since Dec. I’ve noticed feeling very hot under the covers. But when I removed them my body temperature cools down because I keep the bedroom cool. I had my first 5-day treatment of solumedrol the end of February which made the parathesia worse. I now can’t tell if I’m too cold.

March 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm
(37) Don says:

I don’t have MS — my wife was wrongly diagnosed as having MS which is why I subscribed to this via email. (It is a syndrome known as CADASIL which also causes leukoencephalopathy so it looks similar radiologically which is where the original misdiagnosis came from).

Anyway — on the subject of night sweats. I’ve spent a lot of time in the waiting room of various neurology departments and in one of them, I happened upon a questionnaire from someone doing research on sleep disorders. From what I read, it seems that night sweats are associated with many different sleep disorders including “common” apnea. As it happens, I have apnea and started using a CPAP about 3 months before I read that and I realized that I no longer was having night sweats since I started using the CPAP. I discussed it briefly with my family doc who surmised that just as apnea episodes are known to increase blood pressure, the oxygen deprivation could easily disrupt temperature regulation and use of a CPAP not only stops the apnea episodes, it also increases oxygen levels.

Just stuff to think about.

March 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm
(38) ART says:

I really thought I was the only one with this problem. I thought I have been having severe menopause for 12 years. In the summer I can change my nightgown 2 or three times a night and wash sheets every day. In the winter I only have to wash sheets twice a week. My husband hates sleeping with me. He won’t touch me, probably because I gross him out. I have mentioned it to different doctors but no one has ever heard me.

March 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm
(39) Laurie says:

I get night sweats, too. I had them before I was on Copaxone, so I can’t blame the med. I also had them before I was menopausal, so I can’t blame the hormones! For a few months it was happening every night but then it eased off and now it happens infrequently. But, with MS you never know what tomorrow will bring!

March 16, 2011 at 10:45 pm
(40) Stephanie says:

I too get night sweats and have for years. They come and go and don’t seem to be dependant on the room tempurature. Although I find when I get up to cool off I end up feeling FREEZING very quickly. I’ve always felt that my body doesn’t regulate heat very well and tend to get cold easily. That’s why I’ve always found it odd that I would sweat at night when I feel cold the rest of the time!

March 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm
(41) Donna says:

WOW…I’m 53, recently diagnosed w/MS and just started Copaxone.

I can’t believe the people w/nightsweats..and wow…I know precisely what you are talking about! And when I experienced them was prior to my Dx, and I thought menopause for sure, ended up experimenting with Black Cohosh and Apple Cider Vinegar. I take 3 Black Cohosh caps and 3 ACV tabs, and that took/takes the night sweats and hot flashes away. I still attribute it to Menopause, had no clue it may have been MS related….still take it all too. Among others.

I also love Essential Oils, and after I ice the injection site for awhile, I will rub a drop or so of Lavendar Essential Oil on the site. It may require a second application, but it eliminates the pain and the welt.

March 16, 2011 at 11:46 pm
(42) Pete says:

I also experience night sweats, maybe once a month or so. Dx in 1998 and on copaxone since 2003. I personally think it has something to do with my bladder not working effeciently due to MS, maybe retention issues? not sure. I notice that on days when I drink more water is when I tend to get the sweats.

Thanks for the great blog Julie..

March 17, 2011 at 2:43 am
(43) EM says:

Thank you, Julie, for your post. I have night sweats every nigh, waking up soaking wet. Too young for menopause. I blamed the nightsweats on the down comforter, never thought they were related to MS. I had them before & after Copaxone – no difference.

March 17, 2011 at 7:44 am
(44) Sharon Lakey-Jean says:

I too have night sweats, and I did have them before my Copaxone was started.My hormone test showed,post menapausal, so I take 300mg of Neurotin nightly.Most of the time, this as controlled the night sweats, but 1 or 2 nights a week, I do wake up WET.This disease is so crazy, who knows what symptom comes from the MS or from another source.I also have fibromyalgia, which,night sweats are also common w/the fibro.I have just had to learn, it a a part of what I do.COULD BE WORSE!

March 17, 2011 at 10:08 am
(45) R says:

Any idea how much Vitamin D?

March 17, 2011 at 10:12 am
(46) Sondra says:

Diagnosed with MS six months ago, I have had increasing bouts of night sweats for the last four months. I have also begun having very vivid and, thankfully, pleasant dreams. I am taking Rebif – the side effect of nausea is intermittent, but severe .. a cure almost worse than the disease.

March 17, 2011 at 11:01 am
(47) Maggie says:

For years, I thought I was nuts. Mine started at about 27–I’m 39 now, diagnosed at 28. I have always had irregular cycles and horrible periods. Plus hypothyroid, skin problems, the list goes on. I had to stop copaxone, and the sweats haven’t gotten any better. At 27 they said early menopause. NOT!! Everything else is pretty much under control, the only thing left is the MS.

Anyone else get flare ups of symptoms because of the night sweats/hot flashes? I’m extremely heat intolerant and when I get a flash, I get shaky, vertigo, weakness. Funny how we all go through so many different things on a daily basis, when just ONE of these symptoms seem to be life altering for some.

March 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm
(48) Amy says:

Wow. I have recently been reading about fatigue and MS, nightsweats are a whole new wrinkle!

Sorry about your new symptoms! We are celebrating MS Awareness week all month :) We have added MS resources to our site and I am blogging and learning about the topic of Multiple Sclerosis.

March 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm
(49) Pam says:

I had terrible night sweats when I took copaxone in the evening. I started taking it in the morning and now have light sweats that don’t wake me up. I don’t have to change the bed cloths, my pj’s are just moist in the morning when I wake up.

March 17, 2011 at 9:12 pm
(50) Karen says:

This is absolutely the best MS site I’ve found, your information is always well presented, informative and helpful. I also have soaking wet night sweats fairly often. I went through menopause over 3 years ago so it’s probably not typical hot flashes. I am currently on Tysabri but also had them while on Copaxone. I always have a difficult time going back to sleep afterwards, I was up at 1:15AM Monday, and 12:30AM this morning. Sure makes for a long day :-) Best wishes to all of you!

March 18, 2011 at 5:11 am
(51) Robyn says:

You know, I really did think the hot nights were just me. I wake just about every night (especially in summer) with my back and upper body on fire. I can’t wait to see how this goes in winter. The only thing that helps me is getting up and sleeping on the leather lounge (always cold) Do you ever get that nice right through the night sleep back?

March 18, 2011 at 10:40 am
(52) Tammie says:

Almost every night, I wake up around 2:00 a.m. with a hot, wet pillowcase and have to turn it over for a cool, dry side. I too am on copaxone, and have been since my diagnosis in 2009. I have had my thyroid checked and they say it is fine. I wonder though because I also have unexplained weight gain.

March 19, 2011 at 9:49 am
(53) Chuck says:

Hi, I am a male and have had MS for 42 years. I have night sweats of varying degrees every night. My thinking on this has always been that the later I have dinner, or snacks, the more I sweat. It seems better when I am hydrated and go to bed a little hungry. By the way I am also overweight and this probably contributes to the sweating.

March 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm
(54) No Sugar says:

Night sweats had me worried about menopause or HIV. Not the cause. I have discovered that sugar in foods causes night sweats for me, also saucey foods at restaurants at dinner. Since cutting out sugar, not easy (Overeater’s Anonymous & a nutritionist do help!) – I very, very rarely suffer the sweats any more. Age 49 female.

March 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(55) Dee Dee says:

Well finally! I know that I am not going crazy! I wake up every nighht about 2:00 a.m. wringing wet – my head and neck only. Ny pillow is soaking wet, my hair is plastered to my head, and the neck of my p.j.’s is soaking wet. I am 68 years old, had a complete hystoroetomy (sp?) when I was 39, and even though I took estrogen for many years, I am hopefully finished with all of that hot-flash stuff. My internal medicine doctor has no idea why, and i have not mentioned it to my MS doctor because he really doesn’t like to hear anything except about what he thinks is MS-related. After reading your article, and all of the comments on the blog, I now know that I am not completely crazy! Thank you, Julie, and everyone else who responmded to this situation!

March 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm
(56) Kim says:

You’re not alone! It’s not every night, but I do awake occasionally with the night sweats. Twice this week, in fact. It’s been happening for years though. Thought early menopause and even asked the doc but he said I wasn’t old enough at the time for early menopause. I’m 46 now.

March 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm
(57) Stephanie says:

I don’t suffer from nightsweats but I sweat all the time, day and night. This didn’t start until after I was diagnosed and regardless of the temperature I sweat profusely. My skin can be ice cold and I can sweat in a snow storm. I mentioned it to my nuerologist and he just ignored my question. I’ve read that if the hypothalamus is affected by a lesion, it can disrupt your body’s temperature regulation. Is this accurate? This doesn’t seem to be a typical symptom of M.S. but I never had this problem before.

March 22, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(58) Kathy says:

I’ve been having these for years….all through my thirties. I am 47 and diagnosed last August with MS. Comes and goes, but soaked and surprised when it happens. I haven’t had any in months, then just woke up last night with one…soaked! They ususally stick around for a few weeks once they start. I am on Betaseron, see no correlation with anything I eat, or drink, or activity level, or medicines.

March 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(59) ttt says:

Dear Julie,

many thanks for the great blog.

I too have night sweats, but these seem to be more related to “normal sicknesses” – like cold or flu. Even when I already feel “healthy” after such a sickness I still sometimes get night sweats as if I was not “healthy” already.

I’m not worried about these sweats too much, but I have a question related to the above lines. I have noticed that I get “normally sick”, meaning cold or flu, more frequently since around 1 and half years. I’m in my early thirties (male) and I’ve beed diagnosed with MS 2 and a half years ago and I’m on Copaxone since then.

My previous neurologist told me that the increased frequency of “normal sickness” is due to the Copaxone – giving myself a shot of an immunomodulator every day I should not be surprised. However, I have moved recently and have a new neurologist. I also asked him about that and he said absolutely no. According to him Copaxone does not influence the ferquency of “normal sickness”. I was so surprised, I even forgot to ask him how does he know that, but at least we discussed how come that I’m more often sick and he said it’s because of less overall fitness. What this means to me is that I have this problem more in my hands, if I get fitter, it could improve. Next time I see him I’ll try to ask about the problem again and specifically how does he know. In the meantime I have browsed the web little, but could not find anything regarding this. Also your webpage does not seem to discuss this issue – i.e. is one more likely to get “normally sick” with MS and under therapy (specifically Copaxone) or not. It would be great if you could let us know if you have some relevant knowledge.

I should add that I currently live in Germany, so my neurologists are Germans.

Best wishes and many thanks.

March 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(60) jen says:

Me too! Have for the past few years and diagnosed about 3.5 years ago. Never been on meds. I wake up drenched around my torso. I am planning on getting my thyroid checked.

March 24, 2011 at 12:07 am
(61) Kimberly says:

I honestly thought I was going crazy or menopause (I am 38, but my family have been going through menopause in their early 40s) I tried talking to my neurologist and all they do is laugh at me, so it is a relief that there are more people other than me going through the same thing. ??? do you get sweats during the day too or just at night, I have them worse during the day, I have gone out in -40*C in just a light sweater just to cool off the only reason I go back in is because I will suffer frostbite but at this time I really don’t care. The one foot sticking out of the bed sheets is helping me cool off, but then it gets difficult to sleep so I toss and turn, I’m hot and I’m tired! Any new ideas?

March 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm
(62) senorsoze says:

I am a 32-year old man with MS and I have been waking up with night sweats for the last month and a half. For me, the night sweats started when I had a bad case of the flu. I would wake up periodically, shivering and with horrible chills – then a few hours later with night sweats. Naturally, I attributed the night sweats to my breaking my fever from the flu. BUT the night sweats have continued, even after I recovered from the flu.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago and have been taking Betaseron since the beginning – and have had 4 courses of solumedrol since that time as well – though night sweats were never a side effect that I had experienced from either of the drugs.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced their night sweats in conjunction with any virus or lingering infection (and if maybe those of us with MS have a problem thermoregulating when fighting the same)???

March 27, 2011 at 6:45 pm
(63) Dee Dee says:

I raelly think you are just experiencing the night sweats that seem to go with many of MS patients. I, too, have been sick with flu and even the shingles, but the night sweats do not seem to be choosy between healthy and non-heathy bodies. I was on Rebif when I was first diagnosed, and now have been on Tysabri for 3 years in April. My night sweats are non-discriminating – hot weather, cold weather, week nights, weekends, early to bed, late to bed, etc. — they seems to be very flexible — they will visit every night whatever the conditions. I wish I could give you encouragement that the flu had brought them on, but unless your sweats or different than mine, I am afraid the flu did not play that much of a role in this rather unpleasant nighttime visitor. Good luck, Dee Dee

March 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm
(64) Sharon Lakey-Jean says:

Been taking Vit D for about a week now. Dr recommended 5000 mg daily. Let ya know in a few weeks the outcome.

April 24, 2011 at 4:50 am
(65) Mandarin says:

I sweat like a _______ in a __________ during _______!!!! Excessive isn’t even an apprpriate word for my night sweats. Its definitely MS or med related, because I’ve had hyperhydrosis for years, but never anything at night like this unless med or illness (fever) related. I have a hunch it has gotten worse since I started the Copaxone a little over a year ago.
I hate it. But I suppose it could be worse lol.

April 24, 2011 at 10:28 am
(66) Mark says:

I have really bad night sweats as well. I will wake up and with the bed protector on there are literally puddles of sweat where I was laying. It happens all times of the year and in all temperatures. I’ll also get random sweats throughout the day. I’ll be fine one minute and the next minute I mean it’s raining off of me. I’ll get dizzy and my legs and stuff start having trouble with just feeling heavy or rubbery. I’m on Rebif and it’s been working really well. I like it not sure of the Copaxthingy because I haven’t ever been on it but yeah you are definitely not alone with the sweats thing. It’s horrible but it’s gotten to the point we bought a bunch of beach towels after the season last year and if I wake up like that I just take one from the stack I keep on my side of the bed lay it down and go back to sleep.

April 26, 2011 at 1:15 am
(67) Sarah says:

I am very afraid I have MS, my symptoms correspond so much!
Besides night sweats, I have constipation, nerve pain in my feet, head ache after I eat, Bladder issues ( I can hold urine way too long), my vision suddenly decreased, I can’t digest… It has been like that for the past 5 month and Ct showed up normal, I am ready for an MRI. I wonder what your life is like with this disease? You all seem so courageous, any advice on how to cope?

September 3, 2011 at 2:15 am
(68) jas says:

Don’t worry! Really Sarah, it doesn’t seem like much advice, but i’ve had MS for years, and stress does make it worse. Focussing and worrying about symptoms seems to exacerbate them. Sure, get all th info and support you can, but focus on th ‘gifts’ MS brings, rather than th horror of it all. Good luck.

May 16, 2011 at 2:19 am
(69) Bethany says:

I’m in the process of getting my ‘official’ MS diagnosis, but my first symptom was unexplained night sweats for two years. Cymbalta helped reduce the severity of the night sweats, and acupuncture has helped too. Thank you so much for this article!

May 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(70) Karen says:

MS and Night Sweats

I get Day and night sweats – lucky me. I have mentioned it to my my neurologist several times, finally convinced her that it is not menopause, been there done that, I’m 58. SHe then refers to heat intolerance, again this is not what I have, I am quiet comfortable laying outside on my sunbed or taking a hot shower. I am talking about one minute sitting or laying comfortably, and then feeling like I am on fire. Even when the AC is on I have a fan next to the bed. Middle of winter, go to bed, all cosy in my PJs, its a freezing night in New Hampshire, snuggle down. Couple of minutes later, window are open, blankets are off, and I am down to boxers and a tank top. My husband wakes me, because to the touch I am cold, then he decides i need covering up!! Its nice that he cares, but that first sheet cover up I am on fire again. Glad I am not alone, guess I save on the heating bills.

September 3, 2011 at 2:06 am
(71) jas says:

i get night sweats 7/7 to a varying degree, from uncomfortably damp to sodden sheets. sometimes during th day. sometimes my skin is hot to th touch, but i feel so cold and can’t get warm. not on Rebif or Copaxone.
* doe anyone know of something that helps?
nb. those stupid animated adverts over there really make me dizzy :( Your articles n replies are a great find, tho :)

September 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm
(72) Irena says:

Wow, so happy I came across this blog as in the last few weeks I’ve been trying to figure out what this crazy night sweats are about?! I was diagnosed with MS at 31 (6 years ago) off Rebif for many years, no meds… in the last few months I ve been waking up at 2 -3am – almost every night, my clothes soaking wet, take off the t-shirt, throw on the floor, put on a dry one – this has been the routine in the last few months.. Time to see my neurologist I suppose, but glad to hear that it is not just me going crazy – there are many MS-ers having the same symptom :)

September 28, 2011 at 8:02 am
(73) John says:

I frequently have terrible night sweats…and I’m on Betaseron, not Copaxone. I also think it started before I got on Betaseron. Oh well, yet another symptom to bring to the doc, ask him if it’s MS, and have him shrug his shoulders and say “Sure.” Just like the apnea I’ve been increasingly experiencing.

October 23, 2011 at 6:17 am
(74) Dee Dee says:

Ii have VERY bad night sweats, often 2-3 times a night. I have been having them for many years. I am 68 years old and was only diagnosed only six years ago with MS – However, i started having the first sysmptoms i am aware of in my 30′s – very clueless doctors! however, my doctor and nurse practioner deny that my night sweats are related to my MS, “Sleep in a cold room, etc.” they say…it does oot seem tp matter i tell them. Even in a very cold room, I wake up wringing wet – head SOAKING wet! i am now on Tysabri and previously took Rebif – the med i’m does not seem to matter —- always night sweats! My doctor is supposedly the MS guru for Central Texas – yet will not admit my sweats and MS are related. I am just “heat intolerant” they say. It is not hormomal – I had a complete hysterectmy at 39 and have been off my hormone replacement meds for 8-9 years. HELP! Am I crazy? How do I convince them that my night sweats and MS are related?

October 23, 2011 at 6:17 am
(75) Dee Dee says:

October 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm
(76) Karen says:

Hi, great reading all your comments. when i first started getting severe sweats it happened during the winter and NOT only at night but ALSO during the DAY. mine also CONTINUED CONSTANTLY! AND I WOULD SWEAT LIKE MAD AND THAN TURN AROUND WITH KRAZY FREEZING CHILLS!! called gyno, was 41 with partial hysterctmy(sp),did blood work, levels fine, that went on for 2 yrs, while following year, migraine doc found lesion on mri. however, have tons of other health problems-fibro, myofascialpain, chronic fatigue,lots more, anyways, family members have DIED of MS in 2yrs., so started, tests for MS AND YES I DO HAVE MS. AND YES IT IS PART OF MS. I AM EXPERIENCING THE SWEATS WRITING THIS NOW. can get out of shower and start mad sweating right away. the saddest thing i find reading ALL these blogs though is how TERRIBLE THE DOCS HAVE TREATED MOST OF YOU AND I , NOT BELIEVING US. THEIR TERRIBLE EGOS AND WE ARE THE ONES WHO LIVE WITH THE DISEASE. SHAME ON THEM! GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! I WONDER HOW THEY WOULD FEEL IF THEY EXPERIENCED THIS, OR NOT BEING ALBE TO WALK, OR BEING BEDRIDDEN, OR WALKING WITH A CANE , OR BEING IN A WHEEL CHAIR, OR BEING IN SO MUCH PAIN YOU NAUSEA AND YOU BLOOD PRESSURE GOES SO HIGH YOUR RUSHED TO TH HOSPITAL, ETC ETC.
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING.:)

November 2, 2011 at 4:35 am
(77) nikisk says:

I just wanted to say that reading your comments, I have to say that I do not believe that it is the meds you are on, causing the problems. I am not on any MS drugs right now as they are all steroid based and I am allergic to steriods – believe I was on them and ended up losing all my teeth to them! Thank god for dentures! lol! I have night sweats almost every night and they are quite severe. From the top of my head all down to my legs. It takes me about an hour to cool down and once I do I wind up freezing! it is also not your thryoid as mine does act up and I am on meds for that and it is checked every 3 monthes. As for the MS meds all or you are on I had been on Copaxone, Rebif, Betaseron, and have not been on anything for about 6 years, just meds to control my other symptoms. It is also not Menopause for me as I am only 34 :) I hope my comments have helped

November 30, 2011 at 2:15 am
(78) David Garcia Cumplido says:

Hi julie and enrveryone,
It’s very strange but when I get up so early for my night sweats I am feeling better, so I take some steps, usually I am confined in a wheelchair. I’ve been on Avonex, Tysabri (3 years) and I am now on Copaxone. In general I feel better in the night time. Strange!!
I am Spanner. Excuseme fo my english.

December 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm
(79) mag says:

Heating up also wakes me about the 3:30 time, but after I urinate, I cool down. I’m thinking that it may be detoxing the mercury I had removed 10 years ago. Maybe the liver is doing it’s job.

January 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm
(80) Ewe says:

The more I’m reading about MS, the more I’m considering getting tested for it.

I’m not a clumsy person, and recently have been tripping over and walking into things ALOT. I can’t seem to focus well. I tend to get pins and needles (numbness) in my left hand, but the other I day I woke up with the whole left side of my body numb and unable to move! And I’d also sweated as though I’d run ten miles!!

Does this sound like MS, to you who have MS??

January 30, 2012 at 4:54 am
(81) Melissa says:

I get them an I’m sleeping in the basement rite now wit jus a sheet an I’m in wisconsin

January 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm
(82) Annie says:

Everytime I relapse with new symptoms or recurring old ones, I have nights sweats, my temp is always normal too… my docs and neuros’s say it’s not connected in any way, but reading all these posts I’m not convinced!! Cheers guys x

February 16, 2012 at 2:56 pm
(83) Kathy says:

Oh wow! It is so good to know that I am not alone with these awful night sweats. I wake up drenched and subsequently freezing on an average of 3 times a week. I guess it is just another thing that we msers must endure. Bummer.

February 25, 2012 at 8:48 pm
(84) Melissa says:

I started having night sweats about 3 months after I started Copaxone. They also get worse at certain times of the month but I almost never get through the night without sweating so much that I have to change my clothes (shorts and a tank top!) and sleep on a towel. The crazy thing is that I keep my room so cold that I have trouble falling asleep because I am freezing. When I wake up drenched in sweat all the way to my toes and I get up to change I am freezing again and can’t get to sleep. It is more than annoying, it is ruining my sleep and making me exhausted during the day.

February 29, 2012 at 11:01 am
(85) Erich says:

Well ladies, I am almost embarrassed to say its not hormonal. I haven’t been diagnosed with MS despite having all of the symptoms no lesions are present on ANY tests performed. But then I’m depending on the “expertise” of VA doctors. I have been complaining about Night Sweats that ONLY affect me from the waist down. I soak the sheets ALMOST nightly. I have bilateral neuroapathy in both legs that cause me to stumble and more disturbing my foot falls off of the accelerator while I’m driving without me knowing. My genius doctors tell me that the body CANNOT just sweat from the waist down. No answers just intense frustration. By most accounts I am in very good physical condition for a 47 year old but I feel like I am falling apart from the inside out. Don’t give up, I haven’t……..my coworkers have to wear jackets ALL year long because I keep the tstat at 62 degrees at work. And my wife being a snuggler has just accepted the fact that I swim in my sleep. Keep telling the docs….sooner or later they’ll find the problem.

March 21, 2012 at 7:54 am
(86) Allison says:

My Dad was diagnosed at 65, he is now 72. The sweating is driving him crazy. He sweats during the day when he goes on errands as well as at night. He tries to maintain normalcy, but who can feel normal feeling so out of whack all the time? He also has flu like symptoms often after his shots. I believe it is Rebif. As common as these symptoms are, you would think there would be more about trials/ solutions. His neurologist is great… she tried medication that helps women with this in menopause, but he felt like it caused leg pain. The human brain is quite the mystery. Thanks for sharing your stories. It helps me to 1. Let him know he is not alone in this. 2. Try to piece together some plans to try with him. I appreciate your bravery and comments “could be worse”, which it could… so please don’t be offended when I say I am truly sorry each of you has to deal with this. I pray there will be more discoveries to eliminate the mysteries of MS and allow for healing, not just suppression of the disease.

May 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm
(87) Shannon says:

Im 28, and have been diagnosed with MS since I was 22. Just recently I have been expericing night sweats…really bad ones. Im so glad I stumbled upon this because I have been going crazy trying to figure out why. Im on Avonex and have been since my diagnosis. I thougt maybe stress, bc my stress level has been extremely high lately but now I feel like I have an answer. Thanks!

June 22, 2012 at 2:00 am
(88) Ruthie says:

Night sweats are due to dysfunctoin of the autonomic nervous system which can be caused by MS.

June 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm
(89) Victoria says:

I sometimes have horrible drenching night sweats but mine are in very specific places:

1). from the chin down to the underneath area of my breasts;

2). from above my pubic bone down to the tops of my thighs

Besides being totally uncomfortable when I wake up, I wonder what this means?

July 2, 2012 at 10:56 am
(90) les says:

Its good to know i’m not alone.plagued by night sweats. i’m not on any meds,other than blood pressure and antidepressant. dose heavily on vit d ,hang in there peeps ,stay dry….:)

July 6, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(91) Susie says:

I just discovered this horrible heat is also connected to MS. Great nightwear to assist with this is found at http://www.coolfemme.ca

July 15, 2012 at 4:04 am
(92) Connie says:

Julie,
It’s 3:20 am as I’m writing this and I have just finished “drying off” and changing bed and clothes! I decided to have some chocolate milk and google whether or not MS is associated with night sweats. I have been in during this on a nightly basis ….very few nights that it does not happen at the least to my head at the worst my entire body, since I was in my 20′s! I’m 46 now and have had a diagnosis of MS for about 2 months.

I have been undergoing testing for almost 2 years and I too am just about to start Copaxone. When I have mentioned it to my doctors in the past they have asked me have I taken tylenol on a regular basis …sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes its no. When I asked my neurologist he didn’t seem to think it was a common occurrence with MS. Could it be that we started developing brain lesions at such an early age and before any other clinical symptoms became apparent …the night sweats would have been the first of many to come? I’m not sure win this post began but I am at a total loss here. I’m divorced now since December 2011 and would be totally embarrassed if I were to meet someone and go through this …..it is miserable and I would not wish it on my worst enemy!

I’m frightened at what to expect on copaxone and further down the road with MS. My symptoms have been so severe I have had to be on disability since before my diagnosis. I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer or suggestions on how to deal with this devastating news.
Thanks for Sharing!
Connie

July 27, 2012 at 10:12 pm
(93) Cindy says:

I’m 56…recently diagnosed (6 mos ago), on Copaxone…and sweating every night like crazy. Changing sheets…new air conditioner…my neurologist told me that night sweats are a neurological problem and prescribed me gabbapentin. I have been too chicken to try it, but he told me it had been effective for other patients who were having this problem. Might be worth talking to your neurologist about? I’ll let you know if it works…
Cindy

August 4, 2012 at 8:00 am
(94) paula clair says:

At last! I am not going crazy! I am sick and tired of explaining to people (incl. doctors) that these night sweats are not menopause. I am now 60 and have been having these wretched things for over 20 years (the ms was diagnosed in 1987. Have been on Avonex for 2 years, so I know the medication is not contributing. When a “sweat” is occurring (every night – up tp 6 times per night) my skin is so hot you could fry an egg on it! My husband can feel the heat radiating out of my body a couple of feet away. The sweats/burning usually start at around midnight. By around 4 am (if I’m lucky) they disappear or subside greatly. Was on HRT some time ago but gave that away after 6 months – it didnt help anyway and I thought I could do without the associated worry attached to questions being raised about HRT. Its only recently that I wondered if these are related to the MS and I discovered this website. Its saved my sanity somewhat. :)

August 9, 2012 at 3:35 am
(95) Fabiola Burke says:

@Paula, it is nothing to be gone crazy. A lot people around us facing this problem. But you faced this problem for 20 years, that makes me feel bad. Too long time. The acupuncture therapy can help you a lot about such problem. IVF acupuncture Sydney can give you more information about it.

August 14, 2012 at 9:55 pm
(96) Isabel says:

Night sweats not always but just think my thermostat is broken because of MS. 63 now. Did 6 years of Copaxone, menopause also. Just glad to wake up and hope I can get out of bed. Not my idea of a good time.

August 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm
(97) Charlene says:

I don’t have night sweats but do get hot flashes for 2 -3 minutes several times a day. They gyn said it’s not hormonal since I’ve had a hysterectomy (do have l ovary). My neurologist’s NP suggested Evening Primrose oil gels. Been taking but not helping. I’m okay when sleeping.

October 4, 2012 at 11:50 am
(98) Jodi says:

I have had these horrible, blood bubbling, night sweats even before I was diagnosed. I thought that I was going through pre menopause but I do believe it is just one of those oh so lovely effects from MS.

October 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm
(99) Pip Allon says:

It’s such a relief to read all your comments about night sweats…I live in a hot country and this summer was very hard to endure,,,,,,,,,ices airconditioning, cold showers the lot.
I’m with you on the weird symptoms too, one numb finger, two toes, vertigo, losing the train of a simple conversation….sometimes I feel I’m losing my mind too!,,,,, But then I have a “good” day and I forget.

October 12, 2012 at 11:22 pm
(100) sue says:

Thanks for the info,but my daugher soesnt have night sweats i dont think as muchas horrible hot flashes.Tothe popit that she is soaked , and gets really nauseated. She is only 33 and has been getting these symptoms for atleast 5 yrs. She is not on anything anymore as she has not had the text book MS. Already bedridden and has a g tube. But if anyone has any ideas I’d be greatful. Because the doctors look asyou and say “aren’t you alittle young ?”
Thanks for listening

October 26, 2012 at 9:20 am
(101) Jennifer says:

I have yet to be officially diagnosed with MS but the doctors can’t come up with anything else that explains my symptoms, and I’ve been having them for at least 4 years – numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, hands and legs feel heavy, and I also experience night sweats from time to time just as Julie describes. I’m too young for menopause and am not on any medication. It is helpful to know that other people are experiencing this too.
By the way, what do you say to people before you get a diagnosis? “I think I have MS”? I feel like people will think I’m crazy or a hypochondriac! Or they won’t believe me or take my symptoms seriously. I’m not looking for sympathy, but in general I find people are uncomfortable talking about it when I bring it up or try to explain why I can no longer do certain things. Inguessninwish I had a label for it. Any advice?

November 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm
(102) Renzo says:

Just diagnosed April 13th. Had my first crazy night sweat last night. Thought it was to hot turned heat off. Room got cold and the sweat kept coming. Thought I would check to see if anyone else had them. Not good BUT good to know I’m not completely losing my mind. Stay up folks an thanks for the advice and convo.

Zo

December 1, 2012 at 1:01 am
(103) angela says:

I have MS and have beem taking Avonex for about 10 years. I have experienced the flu-like symptoms when taking this medication. However inthe last week or so. I have been experiencing very bad nighsweats which I have never experienced before.Could there be any connection between the Avonex and my night sweats.? By the way I a usually a cold natured person.I am a 51 year old woman who had a full hysterectomy about 7 years ago.

January 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm
(104) kitt says:

i have all day sweating, i have ms 5 yrs, mri just found my very first lesion in my spine. many lesions in my brain, large and small. sweating is all day 24-7 for me, i hate it. my whole body turns red, my heart pounds threw my chest,, i feel like i am going to be sick ,. then weakness hits. i drink lot’s of water and i carry a change of chothes with me, i am reading people with ms, who have lesions in the hypothalums, that is the part of the brain that regulates you body temp. i am one of them, i have, have them before my dx with rrms, now they are worse, as my ms gets worse. i am now spms, i have never been on ms drugs, due to be allgic to all. i am a strong women. and i will remain that way. i am doing well, i am still mobile and happy to be alive, happy holidays to you all xxoo

January 20, 2013 at 10:02 am
(105) Seneca says:

I do not have MS nor am I on any medications. My severe night sweats occur most frequently in winter, starting in my early 20s. I have periodic limb movement disorder (a sleep disorder) and am going back to my sleep doctor soon. Hopefully he can help! The doctor I went to only tested me for thyroid stuff and tuberculosis (?!) Both were fine. :P

February 14, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(106) Sarrah says:

I am so relieved to read all of your posts – we really are not crazy! I was diagnosed with MS 7 years when I was 30 and have been experiencing night sweats the whole time. I was on Avonex in the beginning and thought the sweats were related to flu-like symptoms. I have been on Tysabri for 5 years now and they never stopped. The season does not matter nor the room temperature or the amount of bedding. I wake up about 5 nights a week with my hair, neck and torso soaking wet. I dry myself off, flip over the pillow and try to go back to sleep but often I am so chilled that it is difficult. I am glad to read some of your suggestions about what may help. I already take a Vitamin D supplement. I am going to try cutting back on sugar (a hard proposition) to see if that helps. Let you know how it goes.

February 24, 2013 at 11:45 am
(107) Mikey says:

I have been searching on the net to see if night sweats were a symptom of MS or not. Had my first bout with severe night sweats the other night. Everything was soaked, pjs, bedding and ME! Yuck. I know I am having some extra symptoms showing up that I haven’t had before. Have an appt.with my neuro second week of March. He said last time I need to be in a wheelchair because I fall all the time andI am afraid I will lose walking ability. Use it or lose it. But my body can’t take falling much more.

Also does anyone know of Ortho dr that replaces shoulders? 2 rotator cuff shoulder surgeries and my shoulder is shot. My arm is shot. No one will replace it around here because I am 54, too young. They say.

Thanks for your blog, glad I found it.

March 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(108) ian says:

I too experience night sweats so bad the bed and pillow as well as the shirt I wear are soaked like i pissed the bed. I’ve had these sweats for a number of years now. I was diagnosed with MS 6 years ago but haven’t had any real symptoms for years. I wonder if it has something to do with the MS.

April 12, 2013 at 6:30 am
(109) Brian says:

Funny looking at the time of most of these posts…..2,3,4 in the morning sleepless nights waking up drenched in sweat seems to be something we all have in common with our m.s.glad to know im not the only one. Diagnosed when I was 23 nearly 15 years ago, through this duration I have had many sweaty weeks then all of a sudden a dry month or two or six! no rime or reason in my case. Been on Avonex 10 years now Tysabri for 3. I run an active lifestyle and havent let m.s. stop what i want to do in life. I bike two days aweek,Hike etc. whenever I have spare time away from being an exstreamly busy electrician I feel fortunate to be able to continue the things I love in life and the fact is almost everyone I’m around has no idea i have this debilitateing disease! Good luck to you all and keep your head up high!

April 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm
(110) Sharon says:

I am going to be 46 in a couple of days and I have had severe night sweats for about 6 months and before that mild to moderate ones for 2 years. I had to change my clothes up to 4 times a night, keep flipping the pillow. I JUST got diagnosed with MS by MRI and vision changes being the first notable symptoms. Next week I go for my treatment plan and results of lumbar puncture/CSF levels. I am perimenopausal and go to my GYN in a few days. I must ask for either more hormones or none at all to get relief. My neuro says higher doses than a low dose birth control pill is the way to treat that.

June 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm
(111) Fe says:

I was diagnosed with MS 3/2012. Started having night sweats 6/2012. Now have day sweats, night sweats, evening sweats. Misery. I am fortunate because I can control the temp in my office. I go from extremely hot to extremely cold, but I never know when the sweats will start. Started having “hot flashes with menses years ago, but these are of a different quality altogether. I know this is MS.

June 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(112) Mazz says:

I have been trying to find information for a colleague about treatment for night sweats related to MS. I have read through all of the posts and whilst everyone has described symptoms very few have suggested ways to manage them. Is that because there are no treatments which work? I am interested to know if anyone has used vitamin d successfully over the long term. My colleague is very young and I would love to be able to suggest something useful for her to try.

June 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(113) Kat says:

Oh my goodness! It is not just me! None of my Doctors have been able to get to the bottom of this, and I always suspected it was MS related. I have had drenching sweats now for over 18 years. The only Doctor who has come close to offering any good advice was one whose own wife suffers from MS. His explanation was ‘Your body goes into a series of repair modes when you sleep. In your case you have MS which your body is fighting, thus the sweats’. So glad I am not alone – I have to sleep with a towel beside the bed to mop up at 3.00 am. I am on Avonex, and these sweats started years before I commenced treatment with such.

June 27, 2013 at 9:59 pm
(114) Lorraine says:

I’m way past menopause, but the night sweats started about a year ago. They were off and on and now more frequent. And not just at night.

My GP and OB-GYN suggested I stopped drinking coffee. I went from 3 cups a day to one in the am. Didn’t help.

My neuro says its not connected to the MS.

It is such a relief to know that there are others like me. Sometimes that’s a big part of my relief.

July 2, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(115) michael says:

I’m a 58 year old male. I always sleep with the bedroom very cool. Stops any unnecessary sweating plus I believe sleeping in cooler temp’s are healthier. The other night I woke up soaked and I mean soaked from the waist down. I only sleep with a light sheet so that rules out anything like a comforter. Also sleep nude. When I woke up my stomach to my head was completely dry. My abdomen to my toes and everything in between were literally dripping as if I was dunked in a pool. This is the first time this ever happened like this. We’ve all had all sorts of night sweats, hair, back, etc. but this was scary. The sheets were soaked and I literally was dripping when I got up. Changed the fitted sheet and used a new flat sheet as the others were soaked. Does anyone know if this is the onset of something bad ? Never happened in my life. And to be soaked only from the abdomen to the feet literally in a pool of water is concerning. Help ?

August 2, 2013 at 2:00 pm
(116) june says:

i have hot sweats thought the day but more at night i would like 2 know from anyone with the same thing 2 tell me what 2 do

August 16, 2013 at 9:10 am
(117) Jim says:

I have had night sweats. I’d wake absolutely drenched (also at about 3:00 am.) I am a 47 year old male, so it is definitely not menopause related and also not medication related. I’ve never taken medication as I’ve refused to mask symptoms which I’ve seen as clues to the illness. Observation of my symptoms has lead me to notice food related issues. I’m now asymptomatic, with only slight fatigue and stiffness, due to a change in diet. I aviod gluten in all forms and stick to a paleo diet.

November 27, 2013 at 8:51 am
(118) Amy says:

Right there with you! I was google-ing to see if there is a correlation to my MS or if maybe I had something else going on. Like the others, no temperature changes, number or blankets or other things seem to affect or change it. It’s not all the time with me…..I’m on a double blind study involving Rebif and Ocralizamab. I’ve been on this course for a year and a half, and didn’t have the symptoms prior, but also didn’t have them as soon as I started the study….Have any of you come up with any new info on this?

December 25, 2013 at 12:51 am
(119) Sarah says:

I have night sweats. Not every night. Sometimes more frequently than other times. I wake up with my back and clothes soaked.

I did think I was going into early menopause. Especially since I can feel heat coming off my back. But I think it’s the MS. For a while I was taking lyrica and didn’t have night sweats. Now they are back.

April 6, 2014 at 10:48 am
(120) Allison says:

I as well, thought I was the only one experiencing these horrible night sweats. I have an appointment later in the month with my neurologist and now that I am hearing that others are suffering with this, I am going to bring it up to him. Thank you for sharing and if I find out any additional information from my doctor, I will be happy to share it. We do have one of those mattress toppers and it does not make a difference (except making the bed more comfortable). So don’t waste your money on that.

April 21, 2014 at 12:02 am
(121) Deanna says:

I have sweats all day and night. i have to use ice packs some days to cool. even when bedridden and fan right on me.My Neuro. says it is linked to MS, because MS affects the autotomic nervous system. It is embarrassing! a new product my Spous got me is the cool pads from Ban. I thought ,theses are not going to help, but they do help a bit. atleast it takes away the dripping off my body. place on wrist, back of neck and wherever skin touches skin. I hope this helps!
sincerely,
Deanna
PS the foam toppers just make me hotter!