1. Health
Julie  Stachowiak, Ph.D.

Q. What is Your MS Temperature "Limit" for Being Outside?

By November 16, 2010

Years before I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS), I enjoyed running. I lived in a busy city and did most of my running on a treadmill at a gym close to my apartment. However, I would also run outside occasionally. I could never understand why some days I could do just fine, while a couple of days later, I would be a mess and not get far at all. I noted the temperature outside a couple of times and realized that anything over 75 degrees (Farenheit) was a recipe for disaster for running.

Later, when I was experiencing many MS symptoms, but had not been diagnosed, I would notice that hot days were really hard. Much harder for me than for most other people - even people who were older and less fit than myself would have absolutely no problem with the heat, whereas I was gripping my side with pain from the "MS hug," while stumbling along on numb, tingly feet.

My MS diagnosis brought clarity to the situation in terms of why I had these problems in hot weather. Most people with MS are heat intolerant - heat brings on increased symptoms, to the point of pseudoexacerbations. In fact, the clinical test for MS used to be the "hot bath test," where a patient would be placed in a tub full of hot water under a doctor's observation and asked to undergo the tests that make up a neurologic exam. A worse performance in the hot water (or immediately after) indicated that MS was a real possibility.

Now that the weather is getting cooler in the US, I am trying to get outside more. I live in a place where it we still have hot days in the beginning of November, so I am able to do comparisons as to what is "a little too hot" and okay for being outside (as opposed to summer, when it is either "way too hot" or "unbelievable, mind-numbing, crushing heat").

I think I have figured out that around 82 degrees is my limit for extended periods outside. Clearly, 72 degrees is better, but I can do 82. I can endure 86 for a short time, but I have to know that there is an end in sight.

What about you? What is your upper limit for outside temperature? For that matter, what is your lower limit? (I know some people do worse in the cold, I am not one of them.) Let us know in the comment section below. Your response may help someone who hasn't thought much about this before to get out and enjoy weather that is within their "range."

Comments
November 17, 2010 at 4:10 am
(1) Emily says:

I experience problems when I’m too hot, and different problems when I’m too cold. I have noticed that I feel best in temps under 80 degrees, or if it is hotter than that, to avoid the direct sunlight so I don’t heat up that way. Fur me temps in the 70′s or 60′s are best, and I prefer a little sunlight with them.

November 17, 2010 at 7:09 am
(2) Bryan says:

Up to a point, or maybe I should say down to a point, the colder it is the better I feel. That trend rapidly turns around starting in the mid 60′s. Those low temps don’t seem to aggravate my MS symptoms though. I’m just not nearly as tolerant of cold as I used to be. I’ve recently lost a lot of weight, 250 pounds or so, and ever since cold bothers me more. Maybe I’m not as well insulated. :)

November 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm
(3) Toni says:

I live in Florida and I leave the state during the summer months and head north.

Even the summers in the north are not a miserable as the Florida, hot, humid, sticky heat. The sun makes it worse for me. I get these spots and then that leads to the skin cancer issues, etc.

Sooo… for ME, I like the beach at night and sun in the winter. Ideally 60-70 works great for me.

I sometimes feel like a ‘Gremlin.’ No direct sunlight, do this, do that….I now come with directions. :)

November 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(4) jen says:

I’m 33 and have been lucky so far with my MS. My symptoms aren’t so bad; however, I have major issues with the heat. It’s funny, I always have. Cold doesn’t bother me. This summer almost got the best of me. I recently went outside and thought, “Huh, this feels perfect!” and looked at the temp… 55 degrees. At times, I’m even uncomfortable at 80, but I’d say I can manage it fine. Anything above 80 though and I get a bit depressed, lethargic, and anxious. Above 90 and I automatically get nauseous and have been known to have unjustifiable crying fits. I can’t even wear sweaters in the winter at work b/c the office always feels so hot (probably 72 degrees).

The scary thing is that my 3-yr-old also hates heat and seems to be loving the cold weather this season. I’m hoping there are also some genetics involved here that are not MS related.

November 17, 2010 at 1:25 pm
(5) Tim says:

I live in Arizona – its over 110F outside here in the summer so I don’t go out in it much (no-one does either…). In general I find I only get symptoms if my core temp goes up so if I take it easy in the heat its not so bad, but when I do get overheated I will rapidly reach the stage of collapse. Its like a switch being turned on in my body and it will go into overheat mode so fast afterwards. Once I cool down I recover ok though.
My approach is to get out of the heat as soon as I feel the overheating starting otherwise I am probably in danger of heat stroke or something – mostly – I stay indoors with the A/C on…

November 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm
(6) Jane says:

I have classified myself as a “weather wimp” for some time. But since my diagnosis earlier this year, I notice my body being a lot less tolerant of any weather extreme. Too hot is no good (probably 85 is my upper limit), and too cold is no good. At I type this, I am sitting under a blanket in my office. I am worried that I will eventually have to move to a more moderate climate. Any suggestions? I’d like it to be about 60 degree all the time. Oh yeah, and sunny most days too. :-)

November 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm
(7) Cathy says:

I can’t tolerate the cold because it activates my dreaded MS hug that feels like an elephate is sitting on my rib cage. When the temp drops below 80 degrees I have to start layering on clothes. When it drops below 70 I’ll often use a heat pack across my torso for moist heat relief. I sleep with a heating blanket on low all year round. My summer’s in Las Vegas are great….it’s the cold winters that cause discomfort. But then I never liked the cold before I had MS!

November 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(8) 70DegreesMax says:

I always have my house temperature based at 70 degrees. This is it — Winter or Summer. I overheat if the temperature goes over 1 degree. People don’t understand when you tell them you can’t go to that BBQ or power walk your dogs because it is too hot. Trust me, I wish a company would create a bubble so I could be like the bubble boy out enjoying life more outdoors. I love to be outside and I find this is one of the most difficult parts of MS.

How many of you would love to be able to go outside and not overheat or freeze?

I don’t know if anyone drinks Essentia water, but I do and I find it helps me in conjunction to drinking V8 and taking various supplements.

Also, if you drink or eat artifical sweeters, please consider cutting them from your diet. I think there may be a big link to this stuff causing neurological conditions.

November 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm
(9) Tina says:

The heat results in muscle fatigue. The cold results in muscle spasms. I live in the pacific north west, so the best times of the year are spring and fall. I can do some gardening and then all summer my garden is neglected :(

November 17, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(10) Karen says:

I love the 40s and can tolerate into the 70s. I great deal depends on the humidity and sunshine. Bright sun and low humidty-72 degrees is the perfect day.

November 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm
(11) Linda says:

I am also hypothyroid successfully controlled with meds. I understand MS and this disease often show up together. I am freezing cold all the time and love to be hot. That may be a symptom of thyroid disease. I am on copaxone and haven’t notice any syptoms associated with being really cold or really hot.

November 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm
(12) Sally says:

I do fine if there is a slight breeze and NO humidity. If there is humidity, my limit is usually 5-10 minutes. I can feel myself sliding into problems if I’m out in that type of weather too long. This past summer was brutal in Ohio humidity wise so I spent the majority of the summer indoors in the A/C. Temp. wise I can also do 82 degrees but not for longer than 15 minutes.

November 17, 2010 at 3:27 pm
(13) Karen says:

I too live in Arizona, so being outside in extreme heat isn’t really something anyone aspires toward, MS or not. That said, I used to play golf in the summer in Phoenix and be just fine. Now I can barely play in anything over 80 if I am doing much walking. Which really brings up my biggest issue. If my core tempurature increases, especially while I am walking, it doesn’t really matter what the temperature happens to be. I worked out with a trainer a few days ago. He placed me on a treadmill, and even after a minute on the treadmill, I could feel myself starting to go south. The entire next day was essentially wasted because I feel so crummy… no more treadmill. Also had the same issue when I went trick or treating with my kids. I was okay for the first half mile or so, then the left hip pain kicks in. My symptoms are very manageable — I am just not always the best manager.

November 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm
(14) Spaz says:

I’m one who can’t tolerate cold but LOVES the heat. I was at a summer horse show where the temp rose to 105. Everyone around me was suffering — and they didn’t have MS! I was fine. I THRIVE when it’s sunny and 80 to 95 degrees outside — have good energy then. However, below 50 degrees and I start shivering. In addition to numbness, tingling and pain from head to toe, I have stiff,tight spastic muscles which stop wanting to move when it’s cold. MS hug become unbearable! The heat must lubricate them.
I live in an area which is damp and cold at least 8 months a year, but financially this is where I need to be right now. I’ve learned to layer well and carry hand warmers in my pockets. I recognize it doesn’t matter where I live. living with The Beast within is The Pitts!

November 17, 2010 at 3:47 pm
(15) Pam says:

35 to 75 is fine with me. Anything above 75 knocks me out and with humidity it is worse.

November 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(16) Velma says:

I have bad reactions to anything above 80 and below 50 -depending on the wind chill and such. When I get hot I get horrible headaches, sleepy and my eyes blur up. As soon as I cool down they all go away. When I start getting cold I get spastic. I can’t move. I walk stiff legged till I can get warmed up – asap.

November 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm
(17) rhiannon says:

I live in ohio but in July I went to Boise to see my cousin. He had a performance outside 93* with 15% humidity and I did it okay. Watch the humidity level. Cold of Ohio is okay. I can most anything outside including running the snow blower that’s self propelled. I have the hadest time walking even in the fall but winter is great if there is no ice. Lol

November 17, 2010 at 4:45 pm
(18) Cindy says:

I live in Southeast Texas and have always been subjected to the heat and humidity. I do pretty well with my MS, but since I retired I am outside all of the time working in the yard, fishing and hunting. I can stand the temperature until it gets up to about 95 deg., but like other have said, the humidity is definitely a factor. I started taking high doses of Vitamin D and try to get as much sun as I can. It seems to help me with MS symptoms. That may be why being in the sun makes so many feel better, it’s the Vitamin D boost. When it gets too hot outside I head inside until the temps go down in the evening. It never gets too cold for me. I can put on enough clothes to keep warm, but I can’t take off enough to get cool, not without the neighbors complaining! It’s been two years this month since I have had a MS attack..

November 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm
(19) DeAnna says:

I never really feel like I am hot … I just start to not feel well. The right eye vision gets blurry, i stumble more then usual, ect. and then it dawns on me to check if the air conditioner is on…. duh. Consistently when this happens the house is 80-81 degrees! I finally figured out that is the absolute max temp. i can handle w/o symptoms. Also, apparently I can’t tell temps very well and now had my dtr mark the shower knob w nail polish so I don’t burn myself again and not realize it! The joys of M.S. continue!!!

November 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm
(20) Cindy says:

In addition to my previous comment, I think another thing that helps me is that I learned years ago how to deal with Texas heat. You have to get acclimated, I start in the spring and make sure I am outside as much as I can be everyday. Then, when it gets 100 deg., I can handle it better.

November 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm
(21) Susan says:

I live in the tropical Singapore so it is always warm and humid. I have noticed that when it gets very warm my eyes blur up and occasionally I get a headache and feel the fatigue that is famous with MS suffers. So I have now changed my routine to begin my days as early in the morning as possible before it gets too warm and hibernate in doors where ever possible.

November 17, 2010 at 8:43 pm
(22) Sharon Gelfand says:

I live in south Florida, where the the summers are unbearable

for me unless I’m in a swimming pool! The ideal temperature for me is

between 60 and 70 degrees.

November 17, 2010 at 11:37 pm
(23) Sharon Lakey-Jean says:

I can handle heat better than cold.I do however have the tingling and numbness after heat related activities.Cold makes my muscle spams and tremors more intense.I have been referred to a neurologists that has been specializing in MS only for several years, and look forward to her treatment for me.I was on Avonex 5 years ago,& due to no insurance & my financial situation at that time, had to stop.Now I am remarried w/insurance and will agree to go back on Avonex, although I have a needle phobea.I hear they are about to release an oral med, so I am looking forward to that.A good caregive support is what I depend on and have now, so I plan to improve and handle this better than ever, once my new dr gets me on the right track.

November 18, 2010 at 3:25 am
(24) Daphne says:

my husband is affected by extremes of both he has ppms

November 18, 2010 at 6:45 am
(25) Penny says:

70F to 72F degrees are very comfortable to me. Anything above 72F makes me start to fel sick and the higher the temp goes the worse I feel. I start to become symptomatic between 78Fand 80F.
I am actually considering leaving my full time job at this point, because of my temperature concerns in my work place.
And no, no one there understands the way temperature affects an MSr even though I have tried countless times to explain. They just say I am using my MS as an excuse to lower temperatures, and I work for and in a hospital!

November 18, 2010 at 10:01 am
(26) Lee Lee says:

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1996 and PRMS in 2008. I notice that I am heat and cold intolerant. Once the temperature goes above 76 with humidity my symptoms are worse. I experience extreme fatigue, my brain feels like mush, vision gets blurry, I just can’t move. When the temperature falls below, let’s say, 50 degrees my legs just stops moving because my joints and muscles tighten up on me.
I always loved the summer but now just can’t do much. Wherever I go must have AC and I wear my cooling vest, neck wrap or wrist bands. They help tremendously.

November 18, 2010 at 10:49 am
(27) Denise says:

I like being in the sun. There are days that I can be out doors when the heat is 90 and then when the sun is 90 is to hot for me. I can’t figure out why I can tolerate the temperature one time and not another. I do find the ideal temperature is around 80 for me.

November 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm
(28) ART says:

Cold and damp Iowa winters are painful for me. When the temperature drops below 45 degrees I start to get achy. Hot weather leaves me MSy. Anything over 72 degrees and I become a snail. Also, I am very sensitive to low pressure systems. My body is a barometer. I always get a migrane on top of MS symptoms on low pressure days. Summer sun depletes me while winter sun makes me feel great.

November 18, 2010 at 7:09 pm
(29) Carrie Jo says:

I can’t tolorate the heat and humidity, I feel like a limp noodle and extremely fatigued. And I can’t tolorate the fridged winters of Nothrwest Ohio (or even when it’s 40 degrees out), my limps feel like stiff wood and are hard to move. I can’t find a happy medium. I’m always miserable – what to do? Heat and cold sensitivity.

November 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm
(30) Michelle says:

I live in WI and had moved to AZ for a year. What a disaster. I couldn’t wait to get back to the midwest. I couldn’t go outside for more than 15 minutes in AZ and I was shot. Heat has started bothering me more this year than in the years since I was diagnosed in 03. My ideal is 70 and under. I am so happy it is Winter. And I used to be a freeze baby. LOL

November 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm
(31) Eddygee says:

I have found that heat is not such an issue with me. I am a pipefitter by trade and i was working in 95 degrees or better for 3 to 4 weeks in a steam tunnel. I also think that i was predisposing myself for some ill effect that was going to happen and really didn’t. My co-worker had just as tuff a time as i did and he is 10 years younger than I. So, i will go with that until the next time i am in total heat areas which could happen at any time and deal with it if ill effects happen.
Take Care

November 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm
(32) Linda says:

My body is like a thermometer. I can tell when the temperature reaches 80 degrees. I just don’t function well about that temp. I wear a cooling vest so that I can watch my grandsons play baseball. I also use Chilly Pads made by Frogg Togg.

November 22, 2010 at 6:34 pm
(33) Sylvia says:

I find that the cold weather has more of an effect on me than the heat in the cold my feet vibrato and I feel more tied
Also can I ask i am on copaxone and sometimes when I inject I have like a squeaky feeling like it’s just under my skin when i touch it dose anyone else get this ?

December 1, 2010 at 9:19 am
(34) Katy says:

For me anything above around 68 degrees and I’m at risk of feeling real bad. I get soooo hot and sweat. Very uncomfortable. Forget about the 80s and 90s I know I can actually go into a full flare up. Airconditioning is a must for MS. I do have some problems with the real cold temps too but its the heat that really bothers me. Although the worst flare up I’ve had was last January 2010 and it was around 35-40 degrees. So that had nothing to do with my flare up.

December 27, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(35) Tony G says:

Have MS since 2000, I also live in Florida, heat is hard on me but I have learn to deal with it by working out outside and slowly I have increase the amount I can stay outside. I also wear A cooling shirt from http://www.fros-tcooling.com
which I also sell. Am on copaxone and ldn and vit D, I recently stopped the ldn thought it was not really doing anything.

December 31, 2010 at 11:52 pm
(36) Verna says:

I was diagnosed with RRMS almost 3 years ago and have been on Rebif almost since the beginning. I live in Central Alberta, Canada. We have a saying about the weather here in Alberta…. if you don’t like the weather, just wait 5 minutes. And it’s true!!!! Unfortunately, this plays havoc with my MS. I used to be an avid gardener and landscaper. I love the outdoors. Now, I almost never go outside, especially in the summer. As soon as it hits about 70 degrees i start to feel “not quite right”… i”m sure most of you know the feeling i’m talking about. By 72 or 73 degrees i can hardly function or think. I take the bus to and from work and most days it is all i can do to make it home… it’s either too hot outside to walk the 5 houses from the bus stop to my house because of the heat or it’s blissfully cold outside and the busdriver has the heat cranked up so high that “normal” people are peeling off layers of clothing…. so like the Alberta weather, there seems to be no happy medium. I could move to the North Pole i suppose….

April 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm
(37) Robin says:

Heat intolerance is my name, but I can’t take the cold either. 80-85 is my limit usually unless the humidity is WAY down -humidity bothers me more, and mixed with heat, I can’t last more than 30-45min. Have severe spasticity/spasms and the cold triggers them even more. (sigh)
Ideally 70-80 with no humidity is my perfect home. Is there anyplace in the states with that and mostly sunny climate?

May 1, 2011 at 8:01 am
(38) Ellen says:

I live in Yorkshire in the UK & our summers arent that great, lol…but i find the heat ( not sure quite what the temperature is )absolutely renders me useless.My breathing gets worse, My brain fog gets thicker & my ability to do normal things such as pick something up just disappear.Now if theres a slight breeze then i’m not as bad.I prefer cold weather as i seem to be more balanced but it it gets too cold then my body goes to pot again.Whatever the weather is, seems to be you just can’t win…lol

May 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm
(39) Mare says:

I lived in the Mid-Atlantic state of Virginia before I was officially diagnosed and heat does not seem to bother me. Used to it. I’ve had optic neuritis in the past and my vision does seem to “fuzz” up and goes away when my temperature goes down.

What I notice and absolutely HATE is the ups and downs in the weather. Shifts up to 20 degrees or more in one day and I am in AGONY. Barometic pressue bothers me more than anything. I love Spring and Fall, but they are a worse time for me than Summer and Winter. WEIRD!

May 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm
(40) Molly says:

My heat intolerance seems to get worse each year. I function best in the 40s & 50s. By 70 degrees, I’m sweaty & fatigued. Have to walk my dogs; cool off with a sponge bath & lie down for a bit afterwards. My previously icy cold feet (good for startling husband :+)), now become so hot, I poke them out of the bedcovers.

August 6, 2011 at 8:32 am
(41) FichenDich says:

I sat on the porch with a digital thermometer. At 81.5 degrees F. my body began full shutdown. That was when I lived in the desert. I relocated to the Pacific Northwest. I was sick of being a vampire from March to November ! Living the opposite of an Eskimo – huddled around the air conditioner !

In Oregon I can actually walk outdoors in August !!!

THE THING IS… I can NOT guage my comfort level ! I am supremely comfortable in the mid to high 70s ! Yet my body begins its weird symptoms then !

PS I shall refrain from invective, but the local MS group’s annual picnic – HELD IN LATE AUGUST – think of the words used when you hit your thumb with a hammer.

August 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm
(42) Frank says:

When I go outside on a warm or even hot day I never feel uncomfortable while people I’m with complain of the heat.

Then, even though I’ve been out for just a few minutes my right arm and leg (my ms side) become totally paralized. I have no pain but I just can’t move. It usually takes two people to get me back into air conditioning. Once I’m inside and sit for about
ten minutes my arm and become again usable. I guess i’ll just add it to the list of ms misteries.

October 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm
(43) Vilar says:

I was diagnosed this past December with MS. Last summer, I was on the golf range around 10:00 a.m. in the morning. It was 80 degrees and climbing. I had two bottles of water with me, so I felt sure that dehydration wasn’t an issue. An hour after leaving the range, I was walking around my friend’s yard, when I fainted. I have always been the type of person who avoided being in the sun, but that incident put everyone (including myself)on alert as to how dangerous it was for me! So, months later when I was diagnosed with MS, I realized that this was something that wasn’t just a preference (not wanting to be in the sun), but a real health issue. And people stopped thinking that I was being paranoid, snobbish, etc.

December 7, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(44) Cheryl Reed says:

I was diagnosed with MS since 1994. I am pretty good with temps between 40-80 degrees. When the temp is 40 and below, my fingers and to toes gets real numb and stiff. Anything over 80 degrees, I feel like when Superman encounters Kryptonite!

December 29, 2011 at 10:32 am
(45) Nan says:

I find that cold weather starts the cramping in my hands and feet. Hot weather causes extreme exhaustion.

January 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm
(46) Kristi says:

I am totally disabled in the cold. My hands even tingle like people complain about in the summer heat! I love the heat. The cold is tourture for me. Pain meds do nothing and I pretty much suffer for 4 months. I get increased headaches, joint pain, back pain. hip pain,I have a very hard time walking and my neuropathy goes crazy. I already have Raynauds so that doesn’t help much. I can never get warm enough in the winter! It is the worst…:(

January 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm
(47) George says:

75 -80 is perfect for me

January 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm
(48) Cindy says:

I don’t seem to have much trouble with the heat. It is the cold that bothers me. When it gets cold, anything below about 30 degrees my hands and feet tingle and go numb. It is almost like I have frost bite even though I know that is not the case. The heat just makes me tired.

January 25, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(49) Carol says:

I live in Central Texas and we had a horrible summer last year that started in April and went through October. I was outside only to walk to and from my car to get in and out of buildings. We had over 100 days that were over 100 degrees. High humidity makes it much worse, of course. I do best at a temperature at or under 75 degrees. If I am outside and it is in the 50′s, I feel fine. I am terribly heat intolerant. It usually does not get very cold here in the winter. I can go outside when it is 30 degrees (with a heavy coat) and I feel fine. The heat kills me!

January 26, 2012 at 9:27 am
(50) Ric Kelperis says:

I find that my intolerance to heat comes in two varieties. I do fairly well outside as long as it stays in the mid to low seventies, and I am not overworking myself. Sometimes though, 75 degrees inside (without airflow) can feel much hotter, so I also have problems inside during the winter. Like most other MS’ers, I find that my symptoms are like the weather, if you don’t like it, wait a little while and it will probably change!

March 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm
(51) Joseph says:

I have always handled the heat much better than most people due, but was cold weather intolerent, I worked in atics in Phoenix AZ in the summer as an A/C repairman. As I developed MS my heat tolerence greatly decreased. and my cold tolerence increased. I like my room at 78 deg 26 celcius and 67% humidity. I am living close to the equator in the Philippines, and notice a great deal of heat intolerence when my MS is active. The heat normaly causes a great deal of fatugue during flair ups.

May 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(52) janice says:

every year my tolerence drops, i remember saying 90, but this spring we went camping, and at 82 i had tocome home, i was naseas, and weak, got ok when got in a/c.I AM TIRED OF IT, AND WON’T TAKE IT ANYMORE. i was going to order a cooling vest, but it looked hot and heavy, and ugly, ( i was looking for a jacket to wear over it, how defeating is that?) so i read something from a girl that said she got some blue ice packs and just put one under her thighs, and was able to drive, etc, so i did that last week. used them twice, and first time i was beginning to sweat, and the sweat drid up and kept sanding a chair on the poarch, quit because of my hand hurting, not hot. ( i have even thrown up in a store, because i was hot and too sick to get to the car.) The second time i was out in the yard mem day at 2 pm watching the kids play a game. i moved the packs around if they felt too cold, even put one for a while under my hat.YEAH! i am making plans to go to a play at am ampitheatre in june, and i live in Oklahoma! When i get something back that is big!

May 30, 2012 at 11:03 pm
(53) Anna says:

I have realized after 9 years(obviously focusing is a aproblem), of being
diagnosed, I am at my best when temps are below 60 degrees.
The cooler weather i think immediately affects the nerves, maybe it
makes them taut or wakes them up, I can get so much more done.
Now with this heat, when I am walking in a parking lot or going to an
appt, I am so in tuned to look down and look for shade and find
a cooler spot so I can save energy for later. Amazing how this dis-ease
has taught me to look at life differently, unfortunately it makes up say
things in a different way and others don’t understand why we think the way we do.

July 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(54) Monica says:

Well fellow MSers…I guess I am a bit odder than most. The heat can be a problem, but I take that much better than the cold. I can be in heat in the 90′s and do about as well as everyone else without medical conditions. However, anything below 50 outside starts to slow me down, and if it is below 40 it gets much worse. By the time the temperature is around 35 and below, forget it!!!! When we lived in Chicago, I would be chilled to the bone from November to March and able to do nothing. This is when most of my problems occurred. I would exercise to try to heat me up, but as soon as I stepped outside, bundled in winter garb, all would be for not. I would much rather spend the time in the Georgia heat then the Chicago cold.

July 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(55) Heather says:

Honestly for me I have found that 70 and above is asking for trouble. It’s not as bad as 80 but it still is potentially troublesome. I have found that when it is sunny outside and very hot I can feel the heat radiating through the window when the window is shut, even with the blinds closed. I will get what I call my “nightly fevers” which make me feel like my face and neck are under a heat lamp. With tendancy especially, I can’t usually sit next to a widow very comfortably for long. We have to keep the house very cool (in the 60′s) to keep me alive. Sometimes though, in the summer when it is very hot, I will go out and about and be doing OK. Then when all is done I come home and crash and burn. Almost quite literally “burn”. It’s usually then I realize that I did get overheated and realize my fevers were also triggered. It can be quite terrifying to see how just the littlest increase in heat can impact me so strongly.

August 21, 2012 at 10:48 am
(56) Violet says:

I’ve yet to meet my lower limit. A few years ago, I went to Baltimore in February when it got down to 14 degrees. I felt better than I had in years and was able to walk around for hours on end! Unfortunately, I live in Houston. During the summers and well into the fall, I become a prisoner in my own house. Anything over 80 degrees is very difficult to tolerate, and anything over 90 is absolutely unbearable. I tried to go grocery shopping on the first 90+ day this year and collapsed in the parking lot. My ideal temperature would probably be somewhere in the 30s or 40s. :)

September 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm
(57) Julia says:

The topic of heat intolerance is very interesting. I would put forward that it is more related to core temp than to environment temp. My experience seems to be an increase in symptoms around the time I start to break a sweat. Meaning that if I am sitting doing nothing I can manage up to 85 degrees but as soon as I start doing any activity the numbness/tingling and brain fog starts escalating. If the humidity goes up I might start feeling it while sitting at 72 degrees or even lower. Even trying to shovel snow in mid winter when it’s 15 degrees can bring on a pseudoexacerbation. My perfect world would be 65 degrees where you can either put on or take off a sweater!

September 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm
(58) Kim says:

I have a lot off problems with heat. We live in Indiana and we’re in the middle of corn fields so it can feel really hot outside. I keep my house around 69 degrees if it goes up over 72 I can’t handle it very well. I just want to shut down. Cold wise so far the colder the better for me. I can walk around in the middle of winter outside and just wear a light sweatshirt or jacket where my husband is completely bundled up. I must say we get a lot of funny looks.

January 12, 2013 at 7:11 am
(59) Nicole says:

The same as the others above, I do best in the 60′s. I went to the beach before dx. I was initially dx with lupus. This sent me into a miserable relapse that sent me to the er. Eventually lead to dx. But I also don’t do well during the winter with the heat on either. I usually have to roll my window down and stick my face close. I very rarly wear a winter coat. I never had any problems with heat until after the birth if my first baby. I life guarded on the beach for 8 years!

April 17, 2013 at 10:32 am
(60) Alisa says:

Still run outside in 90+ degree weather without any problems.

April 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm
(61) malisa says:

I like it between 45 and 75. Anything over 80 and I’m SO lethargic. Over 82 and I’m in never never land mentally. Cannot tolerate humidity at all. Unfortunately, I live in Louisville, KY which means that half the year I’m crap for anything.

April 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm
(62) Tracy says:

My issues stem from humidity – heat I can handle – spent a week in St. Martin last April and was on beach for 6-8 hrs a day no issues – a week here in Maryland in August where it was 100% humidity and I was worthless! Could not make my legs work!

The cold brings on another set of issues – my spatiscity is horrible and I seem stiffer when it is cold – also before my dx I had a couple of twisted ankles and falls and those bones ache when it is cold!

April 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(63) Bhorsoft says:

I haven’t made a note at what my “trigger” temperatures. It is something I will start noticing. I have noticed that when I’m sick, a temp of 99 is no problem, 100 and I start to have issues and 101 and above I’m virtually paralyzed.

April 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm
(64) Jack says:

I too live in Texas- South Texas. I have spent a lot of time in AZ, New Mexico, Oklahoma,and Seattle, WA. Over 85 degrees and I start to feel bad- the rest of the day. I was raised in west Texas in high heat and have worked cattle from horseback in 104 degrees and 80% humidity- in the late 1990s- no more.

When I am in Santa Fe and the winter temp drops below 20, I get the MS hug pretty bad and have to go back inside. I had MS a years before the temp sensitivity started. I travel all summer around the US working and the hot locations exacerbate the copaxone reaction with reddening, itching and swelling and make me feel measurably worse overall.

April 18, 2013 at 10:12 am
(65) Anita Gay says:

I have noted that I don’t do well in extreme heat or cold. I would probably say that temperatures in the 60′s and 70′s are best. When I get too hot I experience more MS related symptoms, mostly extreme fatigue. In cold conditions, I experience an increase in Fibromyalgia symptoms. Regardless of temperatures, I find I feel best when I stay well-hydrated which
of course is harder to do in the
summer heat. Also, maintaining a
good balance of diet, exercise,
and rest are extremely important year-round. I tr

y to

April 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm
(66) Jamie G says:

Extreme heat and humidity wipe me out.
I was dx in 1982, in college, and it has always been an issue for me.
The heart rate goes up and that is when I know to try and cool down.
Air conditioning is a must.

April 18, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(67) kanwal says:

finally i found some people who are notonly bothered by hot but also cold weather. in fact extreme weather on both sides cripples me

April 19, 2013 at 5:36 am
(68) Andrea J. says:

Sorry this is not a question about M.S. & Heat…I couldn’t figure out how to reach you till I found this.

My husband and I are both seniors…He couldn’t deal with my M.S. so we separated…

I’m lonely plus my balance is not good…… and have thought of getting a dog..but not sure what Breed. .smal&/calm ? Big&calm..?

Thank You for any info you can give me…
Andrea J.

April 24, 2013 at 8:08 am
(69) Patricia says:

I remember in the 1980′s I remarked that 70 degreees was perfect for me. When I was HR mgr for a factory, I told management it was excessively hot in the plant. They checked the temps; it was 118 degrees. That 118 and then 60 degrees in the office caused my occasional vertigo/meniere’s disease to kick in permanently. Later I became accustom to temps in 80′s due to a co-worker who kept had the thermostat controls in her office. Since that time, my new normal comfortable temps range from nothing under 73 and nothing about 82. I cannot wear short sleeves without a jacket with 3/4 sleeves YEAR ROUND. My hands and feet stay so cold at 73 degrees that I wear a jacket and socks inside my home. I wear socks and thick wool bedroom slippers to bed. And on top of that I will sleep under a sheet, quilt and the quilted bedspread. Oh…I will take the quilted bedspread off in the summer months (sometimes). This is a ridiculous way to live. I hope the new BG-12 pill can reverse some of my symptoms and repair the lesions I have. My MS neurologist said that BG-12 could repair the scars in my brain. I said it couldn’t repair the black holes. She said scars are black holes. So we will see… I would love to be able to wear clothes that fit the season instead of dressing for a North pole expedition.

May 22, 2013 at 11:51 am
(70) Michelle says:

I have now been diagnosed and on Copaxone for 3 years. Heat has definitely affected me in the past. This winter, knowing I was probably being foolish, I decided to try Bikram Yoga. 90 minutes in a minimum 100 degree room. I have never even had a pseudo flair. In fact I feel the best I have felt in years and attend class 4 days a week. I am hoping a better summer is ahead if me.

May 22, 2013 at 1:08 pm
(71) Doris says:

I too require very cool temps. In a/c at 63 daily wearing cotton shorts, t shirt, and sandals. Even at that, least bit of activity elevates my temp to exacerbation levels. Odd that body temp remains subnormal.

May 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm
(72) tessa monaghan says:

glad to read all the temp comments. dx in 2001. live in metro Atlanta.
used to live in north ga mountains. that was the best. got an extra 2 hours a day to life in the summer months as days cooled off and were cooler longer in am. winters stayed avg. around 50 which was great. so my level is between 50 and 75. I can’t move after 75. I always say I am opposite a reptile..mind doesn’t work if weather outside is over 85 even if air inside is 73. the AC at 73 makes me cold.. and that is so strange. most interesting to hear where everyone lives as trying to find the perfect place between 50 and 75.
does anyone else besides me not sweat when their body gets hot?

May 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(73) Jamie G says:

Heat and humidity get to me.
My ideal temperature would be 75 and about 40% humidity.
I have an unusual symptom in my right ear.
It is like it echoes and always has a low humming noise.
I have had the symptom for about 6 months.
I am being patient and waiting for it to disappear.
Not sure if it the heat exacerbates this symptom.
Enjoy the holiday weekend everyone.

May 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm
(74) Katherine says:

I lived in Arizona for 38 years and always had problems with the heat. By that, I mean to say that it makes me feel weak and causes my legs to feel like Jello. I tire easily when the temp rises above 70. I now live in Oregon and the humidity is what is the problem, here.

I will also start to have vision problems and cognitive problems from the heat, as well.

May 22, 2013 at 9:21 pm
(75) janice phillips says:

i have had ms for almost 20 years, and have gotten progressively more heat sensitive. the last 2 summers in ok have been terrible, 112, etc. and it would make me like a noodle and nauseated even in the house with ac. i have been on several interferons during this time, so with side effects mounting and interable, i started tysabri 6 wks ago. as soon as i went off interferon i started sleeping better, and now notice that i tolerate higher temps. did i have a temperature in the old days? never thought it was my meds?!? i hope so and am looking forward to the future, whereas i was just tolerating each day, i hope to have even more results from the tysabri as time goes on

May 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm
(76) Stacy H says:

I noticed BEFORE I was ever dx’d 1985 with MS, age 25 – that I hated HOT TUBS! You know – the “bacteria breeding” ones that were such an 80′s thing. Born & raised in Dallas & I CHERISH EVERY SINGLE DAY that’s cooler than 80 deg. I LOVE WINTER – & don’t even bother getting my heavy coat out! The colder the better.

I’m coming to appreciate our N. Texas summers however. Middle son & his family transferred to Phoenix last year (Air Force) from ANCHORAGE!!! Yes, God has a sense of humor.

Didn’t experience the super cold winter temps in Alaska…but I HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER IN THE DEAD HEAT OF SUMMER – when the high’s are 72 degrees! It’s also breathtakingly gorgeous.

1st visit last year to Phoenix – May 11 – it was 111 degrees. I thought I was going to vomit, pass out, collapse, cry…you name it. Anything outside during the day there is INTOLERABLE. I pity anyone who HAS to live in that type of climate. Found awesome relief in Flagstaff, about 2 hrs north – where it was 30 degrees cooler & definitely scenic. Sorry my southern Arizona friends…but I think that I now have a clue as to what hell must be like. My son agrees 100%. My core body temp is going up just thinking about it!!! :)

July 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(77) margare sih says:

I am still looking for a diagnosis. Shakey vision, balance problems, and 1 lesion on brain.Also, creepy crawly feeling and legs moving when in bed. No heat or cold sensitivity. No pain. Doc says it
s not MS.
I will be very sad If I cannot swim in the sun or go skiing again. I am sooo confused. Love my hot showers and hot tub too. But tripping and the buzzing in my trunk are tell tale signs

July 9, 2013 at 12:25 am
(78) Angie says:

I grew up in Illinois, have lived in 6 states total….extremes of Alaska & Arizona (in the same year no les!) total and can’t remember EVER loving the heat. Anything above 80 and I am a wilting wimp. BUT I am also a wimp if it’s 60 degrees, no rain but high humidity. Actually, any humidity above 50%, I’m not feeling well. I understand why heat bothers me. I haven’t figured out why humidity makes me feel horrible. Any thoughts? The cold doesn’t bother me at all. The best I ever physically felt in my life was when I lived in Alaska….summer or winter (even at -20….no humidity).

December 5, 2013 at 2:34 am
(79) LaDonna says:

Hi,
I live in Florida and year around must keep our home at 72-74 degrees to function. The summers and humidity are unbearable for me unless I’m in a swimming pool.

If I clean the house I have to push the thermostat down or start feeling bad. I’ve read all the comments and can relate to the symptoms they experience when the heat and humidity are high.

I don’t know the perfect place to live for someone with MS. Is there a place?

LaDonna

January 14, 2014 at 4:05 pm
(80) Sindie says:

So glad to have found these comments! I have felt so guilty feeling I needed the temperature under 70, especially when visiting at someone else’s house. I live in Dallas and freeze my children and grandchildren when they visit me. I also have an EXTREME problem with sweating when I get the least bit hot. My doctors could not figure out why. The last referral was to a dermatologist. He couldn’t help either. Funny that my neurologist didn’t think it could be MS related. Now I see that others are having the same problem. I have been diagnosed for 17 years but just heard about the MS hug this last week. This was after I was admitted to the hospital for chest pains and had to have a heart catheter done! All is well with my heart, but would have loved to known before-hand about the possibility of it being MS! Thank you so much for sharing- it helps!!

February 25, 2014 at 8:22 pm
(81) Tiffany says:

I’ve noticed that I’ve become less tolerant to both hot AND cold. I live in Phoenix, so it doesn’t get all that cold, we may get down in the 20′s at night in the winter, but that’s usually about as cold as it gets. Still, I used to go up north and play in the snow in -10° with very little proper winter clothing and just love it! Now anything below 60° is pretty much my limit. I will shiver uncontrollably and, once cold, it takes me a very long time to warm up again. I remember when I didn’t get truly hot until we broke the mid 90′s, but now I start to feel ill by about 80° and if I spend too much time in anything above 75° I’ll probably feel pretty terrible. I also notice too that I just don’t regulate my temperature like I used to. When I sleep I may wake up covered in sweat or shivering with cold, like my internal thermostat no longer works. Or, even if the temperature in the room hasn’t changed I’ll go through many different layers of sweater changes, taking blankets off, putting them on. I just don’t stay any consistent, comfortable temperature anymore, and I think that’s why I’m so intolerant to temperature extremes.

April 19, 2014 at 6:48 am
(82) Kirsten Collins says:

I live in Texas…summer months are brutal for me. I try to stay indoors as much as possible, but I have come to realize I am missing a lot of outdoor time with my son who is now two years old. So I plan on to take him out to burn that energy off knowing afterwards an exacerbation will follow in a few days.