1. Health
Julie  Stachowiak, Ph.D.

CCSVI Presented in an Elegant and Thoughtful Way

By January 19, 2010

As many of you know, I have been working on some articles around the theory, data and progress around CCSVI (chronic cerebrospinal insufficiency) and multiple sclerosis (MS).

I thought I would bring to you a lovely overview and personal perspective on CCSVI and MS that was written by someone who is able to sum things up in a tidy, yet thought-provoking way. I bring you CCSVI (the Vascular Theory of MS): Separating Fact from Fiction. The author, Marc, is also known as The Wheelchair Kamikaze, and he has been keeping up with the news on this developing theory since it was just a fairly obscure entry in the medical literature.

I was so impressed with the way that Marc was able to convey the basics on CCSVI and his opinion around this theory, that I have frequently found myself wondering how I could say the same thing as well as he did - until right now, when I realized that I could just bring the article to you to read for yourself (blame the delay on my MS-related cognitive dysfunction).

So, without further ado, go read this fresh opinion on CCSVI. While you are at it, check out some of the rest of the site, especially the photographs, which were taken from the perspective of a wheelchair.

Read what The Wheelchair Kamikaze has to say about CCSVI:

Is MS Actually a Vascular Disease?

Update on "MS as Vascular Disease"

CCSVI (the Vascular Theory of MS): Separating Fact from Fiction

Read more about CCSVI and MS:

What is CCSVI in Multiple Sclerosis?

What Causes CCSVI?

Comments
January 20, 2010 at 10:26 am
(1) Emma says:

I regularly read Marc’s blog. He is an excellent writer!

January 20, 2010 at 12:29 pm
(2) Brian says:

As to the theorie on CCSVI.
Hi Julie, i have been following the principle behind CCSVI very closely. But i am also a bit sceptical. So i had a look at medical publication out on the web. An interresting studie that i came across, and it is not one there are a couple dating back as far as 2000.
Dr Zamboni indicates that all of the ms patient had jugular insifiecancys and none of his control group. He also state that he did not find that in any other neurological disease. How ever, i found the above mentioned studies was done on Transient global amnesia. 86% of all the patient had jugular vein reflux in the brain. Also nearly 30% of the healthy controls who do not suffer from tga also had jugular insufieciency. This is clearly describe by dr Schreiber in 2005 in a leading german institution. It was also studied in italy and the result were the same. And as far back as 2000 Dr Sander came to similar conclusion. Furher evidence is that this is is also found in certain lung disease as well. As well as in TIS. Even certain studies done on megraines point to jugular reflux in the brain.So it is hard for me to see that CCSVI is the cause of ms but rathe another symptom of Ms.

January 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm
(3) Dee says:

I am very intrigued as I continue to research this theory and am optimistic that we MS sufferers will find relief if this is thoroughly pursued and taken seriously. I also find it interesting that as I work with a new chiropractor (who works only on muscles, never ‘cracks’) that he has had remarkable results massaging my atlas bone at the base of my skull (same bone Montel had worked on and was given such relief). It is intriguing both areas are in the same region, and wondering if the relief of my symptoms can be related to the CCSVI theory, can his manipulation somehow be opening up this blood flow?

January 22, 2010 at 1:19 am
(4) Dana says:

I want/need to email Julie, but can’t seem to get the link to work. How do I do this?? Please help.

January 22, 2010 at 11:08 am
(5) Dominique says:

Hi July,
I just find you on web and has I was looking for something else than MS, there you are. I read some of the articles that you wrote and my eyes are tearing… I just can’t believe what I’m reading, you are so resourcefull. I was diagnosed with MS in 2007, it is not clear to me what form I have. I have been told my neurologist that problems with swallowing is not typical of MS patients unless they are in terminal phases…..
What a relief to read what you had to say about this.Furtunately, I have found an ENT that knew about it and I’m waiting to pass a video of my swallowing.
I will read futher everything you wrote.
Again thank you so much, at last this confirms that I am not crazy,
ps: is this site Canadian or American ?

January 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm
(6) Fernando says:

Brian,

Those papers about TGA where done on people while they were performing a valsalva maneuver which could cause backflow in the brain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver).

Note that Zamboni subjects were tested in NORMAL conditions and all had some kind of anomaly.

Fernando