1. Health
Julie  Stachowiak, Ph.D.

Stem Cell Therapy Reverses Multiple Sclerosis Damage

By January 30, 2009

In a small (very small) trial, stem cell therapy was found not only to stop the progression of multiple sclerosis, but also to reverse damage. This is the first time research has shown that multiple sclerosis can be reversed, not merely slowed. I am cautiously really, really excited about this.

Here are the basics: In the first step of the therapy, physicians take some of the bone marrow stem cells from your body and keep them alive. Then they use chemotherapy to, essentially, wipe out your immune system. After that, they put the bone marrow stem cells back into your body. The new immune system cells produced (by the stem cells) are "naive" and do not see the myelin as an invader, or something to be attacked. Therefore, they no longer attack the myelin and the body (apparently) can then get to work healing any early-stage multiple sclerosis damage.

This study was done in 23 patients, all with early stage relapsing-remitting (RRMS) multiple sclerosis (they have tried this before in people with later stage disease and it was not successful). After one procedure, these folks were followed for three years. 17 of them improved by at least one point on the disability scale and none of them got any worse (in terms of disability). There is a larger trial now underway to learn more about the risks and benefits of this treatment (especially the risks and at what stage of multiple sclerosis is the treatment most beneficial).

For clarification, this uses a procedure called autologous non-myeloablative haemopoietic stem cell transplantation. What that means is that it uses a person's own (adult) stem cells and that the chemotherapy doesn't fully destroy the bone marrow.

As the first approach that is really a treatment, meaning it is healing, and not just slowing progression, this is very exciting. Just to reiterate an earlier point, it is unclear how many people with multiple sclerosis will eventually benefit from this, as it seems to be best in early stage, relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. I don't know exactly what "early stage RRMS" means in this context. Does this include people who have lived with RRMS for a long time without too much disability or people who have RRMS that were diagnosed recently, but have had several harsh relapses since diagnosis? Let's all keep an eye on this one...

More on Disease Modifying Medications

Comments
January 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm
(1) Ken says:

This is a very exciting study! I wish time could move faster for the scientists studying this and slower for those with early state RRMS, so that they can still benefit from treatment! I wonder what is considered early state RRMS though, it’s not just purely time as RRMS affects everyone in a different way. Some progress to SPMS in a couple years, some stay as RRMS, but for a very long time (like my wife who has been diagnosed with RRMS for over 17 years)

Still, such great news! I know these stem cells are from each person’s blood, but makes me wonder what might have been done in the stem cell research arena if federal funds hadn’t been withheld from embryonic stem cell research over the past 8 years….

January 31, 2009 at 9:28 am
(2) Blofeld says:

Hi Julie,

I was dx RRMS 2002. I have so far refused all treatments on offer at present because of the toxicity of them, the awful side effects reported (one neuro said it was all in the mind!) so I asked why they did all the blood tests and watched for liver functions if it was all psychsomatic? he didn’t answer.

I have been taking LDN for 10 months now and it has been a god send! No side effects, fatigue so much better, that when I wake up in the morning I’m actually awake! and not feeling like I haven’t slept and my bladder has improved 10 fold.

I will however insist when it finally comes on the NHS market one particular drug and that’s AIMSPRO. I’ve seen the evidence but can’t afford it and of course the wheels of corrupt politics and pharmaceuticals are at their best with this one it seems.

February 1, 2009 at 11:06 pm
(3) Don Margolis says:

This is indeed great news. And not surprising that the stem cells are Adult Stem Cells.
And in reply to Ken, if federal funds hadn’t been withheld from embryonic stem cell research for eight years, successful studies like this one may not have taken place. There is a limited amount of resources and the more that is used on Embryonic Stem Cell research, the less resources will be used on stem cell research using the person’s own stem cells and umbilical cord blood stem cells.
Adult stem cell research is now helping more than 100 different diseases and conditions. Embryonic Stem Cells are helping 0. If Embryonic Stem Cell research had so much potential, investors would be throwing their money at it. Embryonic Stem Cells have not treated a single human patient, and only time can tell whether they ever will.

February 4, 2009 at 1:32 pm
(4) Tom Brewer says:

I too hope and pray that stem cell research helps us. I am however appalled. Here in Sask Canada, because I use a walker or cane I did nit fit the criteria for help using ang drugs. Perhaps a blessing in disguise though. I found Kalallawa. It helped immensley in my opinion I wish I could find out more about it but as usual our system seems to turn a blind eye unless it can be patended! Horrific I am afraid. I have seen small improvements over the past months. I can do things I could not.

Like I say I hope stem cell research helps anyone with MS but my fear is pharmaceutical companies will do their best to not only curtail stem cell reaearch but like always will do their best to ensure it enriches their pockets!

February 6, 2009 at 1:18 am
(5) Ree* says:

OK GUYS—here goes. I am an RN, first & foremost & I have had the Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant, stem cell replacement w/ hi dose chemo & TBI (total body irradiation)
I was diagnosed w/ MS 20 yrs ago, had RRMS for quite a few years, went into a lottery to get Betaseron when it first came out, got it, had terrible reactions, but stayed w/ it, then built up antibodies against it & was put on Copaxone until the transplant. The transplant was a 3 month process, I traveled from my home in NJ to Chicago & endured losing my hair, being alone most of the 3 months, harvested my own stem cells, went thru the chemo & TBI all to try to beat this scourge of MS. The trial was experimental & there were only 28 of us in the USA who were chosen to do this. At the time of the BMT (Bone Marrow Transplant) I was already SPMS (secondary progressive) but they did me anyway. This was 2002 & now I am 7 yrs out. I am still in a 10 yr research program & go back every year for evaluations. I raised the money by writing a cookbook & selling it to everyone. Insurance covered the testing, & some of the other things, but a lot was not covered including my stay there for 3 full months. Some of the things I have read in this comment page are inaccurate. Embryonic stem cells along w/ cord blood CANNOT be used in this type of BMT. It must be autologous & it is a grueling treatment, but I will do anything to try to keep walking. My MS has been halted, no extra brain activity or subsequent lesions for 7 yrs, even tho I have become somewhat weaker. It will do wonders for those who have RRMS, so anyone out there, go seek it out. The sooner you do this, the better off you will be. DO NOT WAIT till you get worse. I wish I could have done mine earlier, but it was difficult getting into the program. I wanted to share this w/ anyone interested in getting help. There are more trials out there & it is getting more popular & we hope someday it will be fully covered by insurance. meanwhile I am waiting for 2010 when the myelin transplants begin on humans. It may take longer but as I said before, I am up for anything to keep me walking. I am an OR nurse & I am out on permanent disability. I have been stripped of my wonderful job, benefits & salary against my will. But I will NOT ever give up trying to find a cure, & if not a cure, at lease something to help slow down these horrible symptoms that rob us of our everyday living & being happy. I hope everyone out there gets some help. Don’t believe everything you read, because most of it is untrue, keep plugging along & get what treatment you want. I sure try to….Thankx for listening!! And GOOD LUCK!!

February 7, 2009 at 12:10 am
(6) Richard says:

I too found at first that this study sounded very promising, but then came across one of the participants websites:

who seems to have had a relapse, as can be seen in his symptoms timeline. Also, apparently all study participants have been on Campath (alemtuzumab), which is still experimental. It is hence not clear to me how much of the benefit many have experienced is from the Campath, and how much is from the stem cell transplant. If anybody could share their opinion on this, that would be useful.

February 7, 2009 at 5:13 pm
(7) Richard says:

Here’s one more question I have. What makes the transplanted immune system different from the one that was causing havoc in the CNS of the person, given that it’s the same cells? I’ve read that it takes at least a year for the new immune system to rebuild itself. Wouldn’t it be logical for the new immune system to start re-doing just the same thing it did before the transplant, once it has fully established itself? If so, it seems that the stem cell transplants are just another way of immune suppression, perhaps without some of the side effects of the interferons or other drugs, but nevertheless something that would have to be repeated every few years. If anybody has thoughts on this, in particular whether there may be long term differences between the “old” and the “new” immune system of a transplant patient, that would be great. Thanks.

February 13, 2009 at 11:56 am
(8) Richard says:

Two points: From reading the actual article I now believe Campath was only given in the initial stages, and not to all participants. Hence the claim that there is a long period of no progression of disability without seems to hold up.

On the relapse some individuals have experienced. It is not clear at what point after the therapy these relapses occurred, and whether they were relapses in the standard sense.

I have a question to Ree*: do you know why, if the type of stem cell therapy you took part in was successful, it has not been made a standard therapy yet, given that it’s already 7 years past? This seems unethical to say the least.

February 18, 2009 at 5:49 pm
(9) annie003 says:

Richard:

In this particular research, it is presumed that the T-cells are responsible for the damage to a person’s myelin sheath. Campath targets the T-cells and wipes them out. Therefore when new T-cells are made, they will not target your myelin. That’s the simple theory anyway.

Researchers are probably trying to determine how long a patient should be given Campath for the stem cell therapy to be successful.

Stem cell therapy is not adding to your cells, therefore, there it is not an immune suppression. The procedure is 1) your stem cells are harvested. 2) if all is good with your stem cells, then 3) your t-cells are wiped completely out, and 4) then the autologous stem cells are reintroduced (it only takes one). The body must then make all new cells to replace and this process takes years.

There are many types of stem cell therapies. Ree’s was done with chemo to destroy all cells and the autologous stem cells were reintroduced. It is a 10 year research and probably even longer. Records must be kept! That is why fast tracking medications is dangerous.

John Hopkins University has been doing stem cell research using a high dosage of cyclophosphamide to irradicate all cells.

One hears all these great breakthroughs, but there are many other factors to be considered and rarely do you hear of the final outcome. Stem cell therapy can lead to cancer and leukemia for example. When your immune system is irradicated, one small infection can be fatal; hence, the alone time of 3 months for Ree. Most hospitals are not equipped to provide this type of environment. The cost is exhorberant, the majority of insurance companies will not pay a dime because it is considered “experimental.” Medicare certainly won’t pay!

March 28, 2009 at 6:11 pm
(10) Imthatguy says:

Hello folks.

My name is Brian. I am the guy featured on the Allyoumed site. I put the site up initially to document the “Autologous Stem Cell Transplant with High Dose Chemo”. It has grown over time to include articles, information,etc.

Richard,

I thank you for your review of my website. There is alot of info their to assimilate.I just wanted to clarify a couple of things:

As you correctly asserted in a subsequent comments, Campath was not included in the procedure I undertook in the summer of 2007.
The relapses I referred to began about 8 months after the procedure and took 3 months to get over. These were not relapses in the standard sense. You were correct again. The “relapses” I referred to resulted from pre-existing symptoms. I apologize for my misuse of the word

The procedure was successful (and still is). There are no active lesions in my CNS. Over the course of the last 10 months, I have been carefully documenting the recurrences of my symptoms (there are sveral individual symtoms). I did not count the first three months after the procedure, because of my recovery from the chemo. At the one year mark this coming May, I will update my website with the results.

Right now I can subjectively say that my stamina and overall muscle strength have greatly improved. But it has been a slow process. The prior symptoms have gradually, but steadily, reduced in intensity. I can walk for several hours now. Something I could not do before the procedure.

Annie003 is also correct about the exhorbitant fees and insurance denials. I had to liquidate nearly everything I had to pay for it. But at the rate I was progressing, I had to do take an educated risk. I researched different therapies for several months before selecting this procedure. I was not blind to the risks. The program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago is one of the best.

Just as Ree does, I go to Chicago on a yearly basis for evaluation. So far, so good. I believe that Ree is right, that those with RRMS should seek out this procedure. The earlier the better, to avoid the issues of pre-existing damage to the CNS (such as in my case). It is, of course, a decision that only one person can make. The person in the mirror.

April 27, 2009 at 6:50 pm
(11) Natalie says:

Hi I’m that guy!

I thought this was part of a trial? You had to pay for this treatment? What were the costs involved? If you can get this treatment, outside of a trial, ie you can ‘buy’ it, would they consider taking foreign patients I wonder?

I’m dx’d since 2005, onset though now over 11 years ago. Still quite mobile but weakening a bit. I wish I could try this treatment still though as am afraid of the future.

May 25, 2009 at 3:58 pm
(12) Brian says:

Hi Natalie,

I took part in the trial as an elective procedure. This was to ensure that I would not be randomized into the control group (ie, the group that does not get the treatment).

It would have been a 50/50 chance of being selected. If you take part in the trial and get selected into the control group, you can still get the procedure. But only after the trial is completed. That could take years. At the pace I was progressing, I did not want to take the 50/50 chance. For me, it was 100% or not at all.

I am sos glad that I did. It’s been two years since the procedure. I have not had any new lesions to date. I have improved tremendously in the last two years. I cannot say that I am back to past strength, but I can walk for hours, run short distances, even play volleyball. I even work fulltime. All without discomfort.

All I can say is that anyone with RRMS should seriously consider this procedure. It saved me from certain disability, and prevented me from becoming a burden to my family. It was truly a God-send.

August 5, 2009 at 10:39 am
(13) Mary Pat says:

I do not know how old these posts are, but if Ree* or Brian (especially) or anyone else who has had this procedure, would be willing to correspond…I would be most appreciative. I am currently in the process of being evaluated for the trial and have MANY question – right now mostly about costs/insurance/realities. Thank You, Mary Pat

August 11, 2009 at 10:00 am
(14) Denise says:

Anyone have or know know anyone that has personal experience with using Copaxone to treat symptoms of RRMS? My neurologist wants me to start taking the drug but I am a little concerned of what it would do for me health and side effect wise. Any thoughts? Thank you.

August 26, 2009 at 8:22 pm
(15) Brian says:

Hi Mary Pat,

I would be happy to correspond with you. Go to my website, http://www.allyoumed.com. My email address is at the top of every page. Thanks, Brian

August 27, 2009 at 1:17 am
(16) hope0218 says:

First off thank you for maintaining this blog and for all the insightful knowledge. My 29 year old fiancÚ was diagnosed with MS 8 years ago and since then has had several flare ups. He’s also had a C5/C6 herniated disk replaced with a donor. In recent years his condition seems to worsen as he has significant difficulty with balance, weakness, severe fatigue, depression, optic neuritis, double vision, choking, etc. With the amount of disability caused in such a young age his doctors have suggested him to think of a more aggressive treatment option instead of Avonex 30. The only 2 options suggested was Tysabri or the Stem Cell Research study. We’ve hesitated moving forward with Tysabri due to the PML risks, at 29 I don’t want him to have to worry about a brain infection ever day, which would stress him out making his condition worse. We met with the staff at Northwestern and the options are more hopeful. I am just scared of making this decision alone for my fiancÚ as he’s left it up to me. We were planning a wedding, but that will have to wait since his Neurologist just told us today that we need to decide on what treatment option we want to go with ASAP because his illness is getting worse day by day. Can someone please advise us? Forever thankful to all of you :)

September 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm
(17) Dennis says:

I have been on Tysabri for a year now, with no bad effects. I was dx’ed in 11/07 at age 57 and my neurologist put me on Rebif. I had headaches all the time. Then I went to UTSW and they let me try the Tysabri and I don’t get headaches at all, plus two MRI’s that showed no new lesions. I am not perfect; my walking is not great, but it wasn’t that first year either! I’m not going to rush into a stem cell deal at my age (59 in Dec.), but I hear there are several new drugs that will get approved next year (oral?). Don’t be afraid of Tysabri. My neurologist at UTSW has MS! She got the MS as she was in medical school, so she focused on MS treatments. She (Dr. Angela Bates) told me that she does the monthly Tysabri infusion herself. It is such a tiny percentage (4 out of a half million users) that got the PML, I just don’t worry about it.
Go with the Tysabri, if your neuro suggests it. They have a great support system.
Take care and let us know what you do…
dennis

September 10, 2009 at 11:36 am
(18) russ says:

My wife was dx in Feb 1989, been on copaxone since 97 but she is slowly getting worse – we are looking at the stem cell treatments.

September 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm
(19) Richard says:

I am going to Mexico Sept 27th 2009, for my MS treatment with stem cells. I am a 54 year old male with primary progressive MS since 06. I did two years of research all over the world and chose this clinic in Mexico as it gives you the most stem cells of any clinic I researched. More stem cells mean a better chance for recovery and possibly less need to come back for further treatments. The Docs seem top notch and I have only read great things about the clinic. Also travel is simple: just into San Diego, cross the border and the clinic is 2 miles over the border. They pick you up at the San Diego airport; take you across the border, and to your hotel-which is included in the price of the treatment! No costly international travel with hotels for the longer stay. Also, it is only a 6-day time commitment! I am going to be blogging here about my journey, but if you want more info feel free to contact me at fairtaxgodfather@yahoo.com. Best wishes to all and wish me luck with my stem cells! Rich

November 12, 2009 at 11:04 am
(20) Nancy says:

My son was diagnosed with MS at age 21, 3 years ago. He initially was on Avonex 30 which was awful! He had many side affects. He has been on Tysabri about 14 months and he has not had any significante side affects. Unfortunely he is also alergic to the dye used w/ the MRI, so we have not been able to acertain activity, but there has not been any additional leisons.

November 22, 2009 at 9:30 am
(21) Ken says:

Has anyone found stem cell therapy effective for primary progressive multiple sclerosis?

November 29, 2009 at 7:24 pm
(22) Nowraz Zakaev says:

This comment is for Rae. Her comment was deeply touching. I have been married to the most wonderful women in the world for 6 1/2 years.
She was disgnosed with MS back around 1996.
She has been on Avonex wekkly injections. She has not had any signs of MS difficulty. I just don’t know what to do for her, should we look into stem cell therapy or wait for some miricle cure.
Rae, may god always bless you and may you always find the strength to never give up.

Nowraz Zakaev

December 4, 2009 at 8:20 pm
(23) Boytend says:

Repeat Outside,college prove vision manager fall throughout bus woman recognise north leadership protection might town vary citizen aye after mistake coal tear drop improvement climb summer enjoy health up evening campaign transfer traditional bottle afraid largely me destroy final although skill deny desk ask nearly act opportunity welfare troop interested representative but east appearance against bloody without try welcome half flight danger failure king door consequence stay disease present reform gun mark coal offence importance plus gold remember answer video border enough indicate argue standard shot often offer room tend

December 13, 2009 at 4:40 pm
(24) Chrisoulaonfumes says:

Hi All.

Came across this blog by accident, but felt curious, so I gave it a read. As a result i have a question or two.

But first a little background.
I’m 29, female, diagnosed with RRMS in February this year. I was treated with Campath, administered subcutaneously via five injections in my abdomen over a five day period.
Did the biweekly blood tests, and stayed away from sorces of infection, for three months.
So far i’m fine. no relapse, though i do occasionally get the little reminder that my immune system might still be having fun (slight balance and vision issues when I’m stressed.
Anyway, my neuro (here in South Africa) never mentioned anything to me about stem cell treatments. Will ask though when I see in January for a follow up.

But right now I find my self wondering how stem cell treatment would help, considering that I’m already on something that pretty much seems to do the same thing (You know, wipe the immune system out, then let it start from the immature cells again)???

If anyone could elucidate, I’d be most grateful.

P.S. Forgive me for my ignorance, I really haven’t been keeping myself as updated on this topic as I perhaps should.

P.P.S thanks, for all the interesting information you have all shared. Good luck to all of you and your loved ones.

Chris

November 20, 2010 at 11:10 am
(25) Lynne Grijalva says:

Does anyone know of research or therapy for MS related trigemnial neuralgia? Mine has gotten so severe, the last attack put me in the Emergency Room and in bed for 7 days. I could not move, speak or eat without aggravating the nerve.

January 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm
(26) George says:

I also had a Hematopoietic stem cell transplantaiton one year ago and it cured my MS. You can read about the cience of it here:

February 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(27) Bandy S says:

In June of 2010 I went to the Rush University MS Center to undergo Immune Ablation with High Dose Cytoxan followed by colony stimulating factor injections for 10 days after which my red and white blood cells rebounded with a brand new immune system with no evidence of the MS component. I recently obtained a new brain MRI w/wo contrast that showed no active lesions. I was diagnosed in 1995 and have had a mild form of the disease and attribute the onset to my childhood years growing up in England and moving to the US (South) at age 14. I experience gait issues and neuropathy and have an EDSS score of 3.5. I am expecting to see improvements and noted immediatley that my allergies/congestion disappeared and by sense of smell has come back. I believe that I will stay in remission now that I am in a subtropical environment that exposes me to more viruses/bacteria for which I can build sensitivites. I look forward to my body now beginning the repair work as the MS component is gone. I strongly believe in the procedure as it addresses the auto-immune characteristic of the disease. While I have a new born immune system it gets stronger every day and I look for continued symptom improvement over the next 2-3 years. The longest data suggests 10 year in a remission state, which is skin to a new lease on life. If anybody has questions I would be happy to correspond as I believe my younger years as a child were contrubuting factors and that this is a environmental disease that I do not see coming back ever.

August 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm
(28) Arthur Herr says:

Hi Bandy S,
I was D/Xed in 2001.I’ve had CCSVI 4 times.Better perhaps %20. If you would,please contact me directly (ginoluna@live.com) to discuss your personal experience.Thanks.
Warm Regards,Arthur Herr

October 8, 2011 at 5:40 am
(29) Gregg says:

I have seen a few comments posted by those being helped by Tsyabri. I will not dismiss the idea that it helps. Tsyabri can in many cases almost completely stop the progression of the disease.

Some posts I have seen have been dismissive of the potential for PML. My mother was put on Tsyabri and tried to explain to me that this was a last chance treatment and that the risk of death due to PML was very real. I don’t think I wanted to believe it, and so I just dismissed it completely.

She developed what I could only describe as stroke symptoms after Halloween (2010). I honestly just thought it was another round of bad days due to the MS. I was wrong. We buried my Mother this January (2011). PML is a vicious and often fatal disease. It is not a reality to be taken lightly.

The problem with Tsyabri is that yes the risk of PML is low to begin, but it increases over the course of treatment. So yes when someone says the risk is a few in a million, they are technically correct. But those who quote this fail to mention that the risk increases, and eventually it increases to a point it has to be re-evaluated at the very least.

Mom was in a very bad place towards the end and Tsyabri gave her an additional 3 years that she would not have otherwise had with us. She understood the risk and decided the extra time was worth it. The way she explained it was it was worth having a few good years with a sharp drop off instead of a series of increasingly bad years.

You must understand the risks and possible outcomes of any treatment. Tsyabri can result in PML, chemo to wipe out the immune system can result in an infection that you don’t recover from. I hope one day they find a true cure.

As for myself I had my MRI today, the tremors in my hands and vision issues in my left eye finally got bad enough that I had to overcome my own fear and start the testing for MS. I hope they give me a different diagnosis, but if not education will be key.

October 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm
(30) Tash1217 says:

I am going to Dominican republic in 2weeks for fetal stem cell transplant. Anyone have this done?

March 21, 2012 at 8:05 am
(31) juliet says:

Hi i wonder if anyone can help in 6 months i am sitting down with my nerologist and the Dr who is going to do the stem cell treatment for me, and i was just getting some info together. I was wondering does anyone know how long the chemo treatment part is for and what happens next. I know it’s questions i should asK them but just wanted a heads up. Thanks

April 17, 2012 at 1:44 am
(32) Brian says:

Hi Juliet,

If you are referring to the procedure being done at Northwestern, then , to answer your question:

You receive high-dose chemo (probably cytoxin) for 4-5 days.
then you go through a period of a few days when your immune system is severely suppressed. Then you are given the blood stem cells taken from you previously, which will grow into your new immune system.

I think what you really want to know is, “what about me changes and does it hurt?”. Well, it is not an easy experience to go through. The chemo’s effects can take a few months to go away. You lose your hair, but it starts to grow back after a few weeks.

You know that if you do nothing, your MS will continue to progress. That could be an even worse experience. I’m glad that you have the opportunity to get this procedure. After a few years, you’ll be happy that you did it.

It’s all about the quality of life…

September 20, 2012 at 11:43 pm
(33) Yolanda says:

I was diagnoised with ms 2 years ago and was told that according to my MRI’s I’ve had it for about 8 years (which explains a lot) I’ve tried 3 different treatments and had all the side effects listed;( so I’ve stopped treating my ms but I know I got to I’m fixing to book my flight to cancun to get stem cell therapy, but when I’ve done research on stem cells it seems that know where does it mention taking stem cells from my bone marrow and injecting them the same day when I discussed the treatment with dr they said that’s how they’ll do it. Does anyone have info on this matter? Has anyone went to cancun for stem cells and had positive outcome? I really don’t have money to blow on a procedure if there not going to do it right..

November 27, 2012 at 3:34 am
(34) Lisa says:

Hello all,
My husband was a healthy, fit, police officer in 2007. He worked out on weights and ran 4 miles a day. He was dx with MS in 2008. It is now December of 2012 and he continues to decline. He now can barely walk and must have a cane. He gets worn out just taking a simple shower.
What are people to do when they don’t have the funds to get the stem cell replacement. I just don’t understand WHY the insurance companies don’t cover it. I mean when the Tysabri injections are close to $3,000.00 every month, wouldn’t it be cheaper for them to just pay for the stem cell replacement.
I don’t even know the first thing about HOW or WHERE to get the replacement. Most of the clinical trials won’t take his type of MS only RRMS. He is so discouraged and is so fearful of being in a wheel chair or worse. It gets harder everyday to try and figure out a way to get him help. Does ANYONE know how you can get into a trial for this?
I hope they find a cure soon so people can lead normal, happy, active lives.